• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I not Lieca waiting!! (1 Viewer)

Ian Latham

I have (like many other bird watchers) been waiting for this scope since the first whispers of it's likelyhood way back in May 2007 (8 long months ago).

As marketing strategies go.....this ones a corker!!

Maybe its just my own over excitement about this impending products arrival, but the way in which Leica has gone about this whole 'drawing out' the advertising campaign is nothing short of mental cruelty.

I have wanted one of Leica's scopes for going on 5 yrs now, but with other 'hobbyist' commitments - this particular luxury only became within budget last year.

I was then, a newish member of this fabulous site (much needed brownie points!!) and was unaware of the vast array of other companies vying for a piece of the market.

There are some really great scopes out there..... some with wonderful optical capabilities........some with fantastic design and ergonomics etc, etc, and in the eight months I have waited for this latest offering from Leica I have had chances to look through, and test them all, in a whole variety of different settings and conditions.

Conclusions??........

They all had their good points,..... but no 1 scope stood out from the crowd.....and all had something I just did,nt like. On some - the helical focus wheel was 'jumpy', or on another the 'flare' issue was bugging me, etc, etc.

This one looks like it could quite easily be mine!!

It looks like the type of scope that (don't laugh!! because he was a birdwatcher in the original books) good old 007 - James Bond himself would use (maybe with a couple of turns it could become a grenade launcher or long range sniper rifle!!)

Anyway, it also has the upgrades you would expect and more......magnesium body, full rubber armour, waterproofing and anti fogging etc, etc.

It's all there!! and what really puts the cherry on the top?.......that little gem of marketing genius that all quality products have?........The little blood red badge that says you have a quality product (the Leica logo!).

This scope will have the birds I've been trying to watch from afar queuing up next to my Giotto tripod and begging for their photo to be taken!!

COME ON LEICA!! I just can't wait!

Still no samples?

I have (like many other bird watchers) been waiting for this scope since the first whispers of it's likelyhood way back in May 2007 (8 long months ago).

...Anyway, it also has the upgrades you would expect and more......magnesium body, full rubber armour, waterproofing and anti fogging etc, etc.

It's all there!! and what really puts the cherry on the top?.......that little gem of marketing genius that all quality products have?........The little blood red badge that says you have a quality product (the Leica logo!).

This scope will have the birds I've been trying to watch from afar queuing up next to my Giotto tripod and begging for their photo to be taken!!

COME ON LEICA!! I just can't wait!

There was a trade show in Switzerland, mostly for hunters and fishermen. But Leica advertised their presence, and from the ad it seemed like the new scope would be there to look through. Well the scope was there, but only a non-functioning dummy. I was told that was all they got. What a disappointment.
But Leica's new scope might not be that attractive if they really sell only scopes together with eyepieces. I think I still prefer a zoom with the possibility to go to 60x. But the APO version of the new scope is said to be sold only together with the Asph. zoom (which goes only up to 50x).

There was a trade show in Switzerland, mostly for hunters and fishermen. But Leica advertised their presence, and from the ad it seemed like the new scope would be there to look through. Well the scope was there, but only a non-functioning dummy. I was told that was all they got. What a disappointment.

Thanks Swissboy for your input.:t:

I take my hat off to Leica for their canny marketing strategy and suspect that the advent of Spring will induce their latest 'baby', along with Mother Natures finest for us all to scope (forgive the pun!).

If it takes any longer to arrive then I just hope Leica will bring out an attachment to connect the scope to my Zimmerframe!:-C

It still wont knock the Kowa off top spot LOL! But do you think this long drawn out waiting may put people off buying the scope? Its been along time coming and no launch date that I am aware of.

Foreplay Paul!.......FOREPLAY!! ;)

They (Leica) are just teasing you and keeping you interested until they decide you can take no more...............and just when you think you have had enough , they will whip out the big fellow and let you have it!! :eek!:

It still wont knock the Kowa off top spot LOL! But do you think this long drawn out waiting may put people off buying the scope? Its been along time coming and no launch date that I am aware of.

There was a tentative mention of April! But it did not sound very convincing.

....I take my hat off to Leica for their canny marketing strategy and suspect that the advent of Spring will induce their latest 'baby', along with Mother Natures finest for us all to scope (forgive the pun!).

Once that baby is out, it does not mean it will already be available! We may well have to wait a bit more, if it goes like when they introduced their first scope. But I guess the hungry crowd is a bit smaller this time around. Nevertheless, the teasing game will keep us interested for a while. ;)

I too have been eagerly awaiting the new Leice 82 since the first whisper of it was mentioned. I have a particular love for hummingbirds and my current 77 APO has provided some wonderfully priceless images and pictures. I'm just as excited about the new 25-50 eyepiece. Although the adjustment range is small, it's within the range that I usually use the scope and therefore think that it makes perfect sense. I know that I'll apreciate the wide field of view. I do hope that Leica makes a fixed 75x eyepiece for those times when we want even more magnification for whatever reason.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back