• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox HG 8.5x43 (1 Viewer)

Marshall-78

I have just tried these at my local LCE and was well impressed. I am now thinking of upgrading from my current Minox BL 8x42 BR. These are great but the new HG's are really tempting me. Any one got a pair and what do they think?

I didn't get the 8.5x42 as the 8x33 HG gave me a better fov (from memory) and they are smaller which was what I needed for a trip I bought them for. Also nicely balanced and the focus wheel is precise when wearing gloves - great metal knurling!

I usually use porros but I give house room to the 8x33 HR, an FL 7x42 and a couple of others that appeal.

I havn't compared them in the field but I understand that the x43 are optically better than the x33 other than for the fov, but I need to be in a seat with head rest (or flat against a tree) in order to get the best out of any bin so it probably isn't significant from my point of view.

The focussing action is smooth and precise and repays practice in using it smoothly, the dioptic correction works for me, locking nicely into place.

The x33 withstood being left out in a storm for some hours with no case or caps with no ill effects.

Must admit I shopped around for a good deal as they are not the cheapest but worked best for me out of several contenders. in the mid range.

They should be a significant improvement over the BLs which, I'm afraid, are not my favourites - but as I said I'm not really a roof user.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

J

Hi Marshall. I've just tried out the 8.5 x 43 and the 10 x 43 against the Opticron BDA Oasis and have come away with the Minox 10 x 43. Yes there is a smaller field of view but I was prepared to sacrifice that for the larger image and the fact that I have a 7 x 42 pair of Leicas and wanted a different view rather than two the same/similar if you know what I mean.

What made me go for the Minox? They just felt great in the hand, really well balanced,far lighter than the Opticrons and 100g lighter than my 7 x 42 Leica.

The focus wheel is so smooth and the optics great, not that much, in my opinion, to choose between them and the Opticrons but not as good as Leica. Personally I don't think that you'll go wrong with 8.5 X 43's, they're tremendously well engineered.

Downside: no objective lens covers.

Downside: no objective lens covers.

We're about to remedy this (in the UK at least) as we've found that the Minox Porro OG covers fit the 43mm HGs.

If anyone with the 43mm HGs wants OG covers, please drop me a PM with postal address and I'll get them sent out as soon as they arrive.

All the best,

Dave.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back