• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any info on Swarovision EL 50? (1 Viewer)

Sound like a good time was had by all. I wonder what the binoculars were like? Think we will find out before Nikon comes out with a 50mm EDG?
Bob

Bob,

I seriously doubt if Nikon will come out with a 50mm EDG, though a 50mm line would have been more welcome than merely tweaking the ergonomics of the 8x32 and three full sized EDGs.

However, looking at the difference between Swaro and Nikon business models, it's not hard to see why that's not likely to happen.

Swaro has only three bin product lines - EL, SLC, and Habichts (I would hazard a guess that the EL and SLC outsell the Habicht porros by a considerable margin). So Swaro is more like a 2 1/2 "trick pony".

Nikon's business model is a wide range, varied price point approach.

Nikon's "EL" is the EDG, it's "SLC" is the Premier, or at least it was before Swaro redesigned the SLC as the SLC-HD and brought it up in price and features to the top tier, hence my call for a much needed upgrade to the CA-prone Premier.

Instead, they redesigned the EDG to look like the SLC-HD, or was it the other way around, or a "co-evolution"? (only the corporate spies know for sure :)

Nikon's "Habicht's" are the SE series, which includes a 50mm model.

Swaro has no roofs at the mid-price level such as the Nikon Monarch, Monarch III, and Monarch X series, which includes 45mm and 56mm models, nor does Swaro offer affordable-priced porros like the EX series, which includes 50mm models or entry level roofs such as Trailblazer and Prostaff 7, entry level porros (regular Action), or reverse porro compacts or marine binoculars or an IS bin.

And let's not forget the "ecobins" and the first bin designed especially for "SHE".

Did I miss anything, it's hard to keep track!

With all that cost in design and production at the various price points in both porros and roofs, I'm even surprised that Nikon redesigned the EDG, let alone would think of adding a 50mm to their EDG line up, however nice that might be.

Nikon fans have a choice of 45mm, 50mm, and 56mm bins from the Monarch series, Trailblazer, the EX Action and Action series, and the SE series.

Last edited:
Blimey, they sound good don't they. Why does Swarovski do it to us? Problem is I don't have a spare £2K. I am going to have to sell my car/house/body.

Blimey, they sound good don't they. Why does Swarovski do it to us? Problem is I don't have a spare £2K. I am going to have to sell my car/house/body.

Yes Jimibird, i'm having one too, come hell or high water, or even divorce!!.

One serious problem though, 10x or 12x ? !!!!

Guys what are ya talking about? Just sell all of your binos and your wives and you'll be able to afford new SV, simple as that.

No but on a serious note now, the prices of these optics are really mental, but guess what? They can do it since they got a bunch of Swaro fanboys. Its kinda like with apple. New product comes out and fanboys run to get it, despite silly prices. Then theres another group who likes to enjoy excellent optics. I myself own Zeiss FL 10x56 victory. Comparing it against the SV EL 10z42, I found out that, the only thing that is different in these two is edge sharpness. SV EL due to the lens flattener blah blah yea its amazingly sharp at the edges, but hey the binos are much cheaper. And you don't really notice that edge unless you look for it, as most of the time you will concentrate on the sweet spot-and FLs have the sweetest spot you can get xD

Well anyway, new 10x50 SV is probably gonna be much brighter than 42mm model. Optics will be probs the same. Atm its 2k, while Zeiss or Leica go just for over a grand. Is it worth getting a bino at twice the price? What improvements do you get with SV? Edge sharpness? Well ofc unless you win a lottery:D then maby buy a supply for BF members too:D

Guys what are ya talking about? Just sell all of your binos and your wives and you'll be able to afford new SV, simple as that.

No but on a serious note now, the prices of these optics are really mental, but guess what? They can do it since they got a bunch of Swaro fanboys. Its kinda like with apple. New product comes out and fanboys run to get it, despite silly prices. Then theres another group who likes to enjoy excellent optics. I myself own Zeiss FL 10x56 victory. Comparing it against the SV EL 10z42, I found out that, the only thing that is different in these two is edge sharpness. SV EL due to the lens flattener blah blah yea its amazingly sharp at the edges, but hey the binos are much cheaper. And you don't really notice that edge unless you look for it, as most of the time you will concentrate on the sweet spot-and FLs have the sweetest spot you can get xD

Well anyway, new 10x50 SV is probably gonna be much brighter than 42mm model. Optics will be probs the same. Atm its 2k, while Zeiss or Leica go just for over a grand. Is it worth getting a bino at twice the price? What improvements do you get with SV? Edge sharpness? Well ofc unless you win a lottery:D then maby buy a supply for BF members too:D

Its only money, you cant take it with you ;)
Did i mention i have my new Swarovski Hawk tattoo o:)

Last edited:
Its only money, you cant take it with you ;)
Did i mention i have my new Swarovski Hawk tattoo o:)

Ok if it's only money, can you give me some? xD

But honestly, I'll probably end up buying ELs 50 in a while, despite my previous post, in used condition on ebay, snipe it in the last 2 sec. After getting it i'll go and check it out. After playing around with the toy for few weeks they will probs go on auction again with minimal ££ loss (hopefully).
Thats what happened with swarovision 10x42.

If the new Swaro 12x50s succeed in removing the prejudice many on this forum seem to have against higher power 10x or 12x binoculars, they will have made a significant contribution.
Imo, a 12x50 with decent eye relief and a reasonable field of view is a spectacular birding instrument which deserves to sell at a premium.

Not sure about a 12x50. Sure Swaro's marketing department will help sell loads of them!

Still think think bringing a 8x32 first would have been a better move, but what do I know!

Suspect this product is aimed more at the hunting market!

Some people would buy a turd with swaro label - there own tripod head is a good example!

Most of there stuff is well made and is backed up by great aftersales. Proof of the pudding, I own Swaro scope.

The 10x50 was THE birding bin a long time back. Swaro seem to be looking to resurrect that market and perhaps extend it to 12x.

I'm sure some hunters will be looking at the 12x too but I suspect they want 15x50 more. They're going to have to put it on a tripod to count the points so why no go the whole hog?

The 10x50 was THE birding bin a long time back. Swaro seem to be looking to resurrect that market and perhaps extend it to 12x.

I'm sure some hunters will be looking at the 12x too but I suspect they want 15x50 more. They're going to have to put it on a tripod to count the points so why no go the whole hog?

I suspect it is a risk though? Know very few birders who use a 10x50. Would suggest the trend has been to downsize - 8x32's have proved very popular.

£2000 is a big price tag too!

Kevin,

When were 10x50s THE birding bin? I would imagine Antediluvian Times when giants with image stabilized hands walked the earth? :)

I do remember when 7x35s were popular for birding and general use, but then 8x bins overtook them, however, the 10x50 Epoch is new to me.

Please elaborate for those of us unfamiliar with this period in birding bin history, with some examples so we get a sense of which brand/model bins birders were using back then. Thanks.

Brock

Kevin,

When were 10x50s THE birding bin? I would imagine Antediluvian Times when giants with image stabilized hands walked the earth? :)

I do remember when 7x35s were popular for birding and general use, but then 8x bins overtook them, however, the 10x50 Epoch is new to me.

Please elaborate for those of us unfamiliar with this period in birding bin history, with some examples so we get a sense of which brand/model bins birders were using back then. Thanks.

Brock

Have you forgotten the thread about the famous Ornithologist who used those old beat up 10 x 50 porro's for about 100 years with all the pictures of them?

Kevin should remember his name. I forgot it.

Bob

Chandler Robbins ... the force behind the Golden Guide, the Breeding Bird Survey and Breeding Bird Atlas used "USOL Version" of the Bushnell Featherlight 10x50 Wide Field.

"Featherlight": clearly they had already invented irony in the 1960s. I think that came out of the same think tank as Project Orion.

I believe it was the time when Real Men™ birded with 40oz bins supported by cheese wire neckstraps all day without a break and did not complain because it was a heck of a lot easier than an afternoon on Iwo Jima.

It was also a time of really wide angle (> 7.0°) 10x50 bins with solid 5mm ER that had no eye relief but you could take off the (solid bakelite) eyecups for "ease of use".

The main issue with 10x50 up to this point (though Leica did try it) is FOV and weight: with 6.5° FOV or more and less than 2kg these could get these back into the mainstream.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=144506
http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/whatsnew/events/robbins/
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=159240

Of course a publicity coup for Swaro might be to see if he'd replace his Bushnell Featherlight 10x50 Wide Field with the 10x EL50 ... imagine the photos.

Last edited:
I have the Swift Newport 10x50. Now and then I use it from indoors, looking at a great shrubbery in my backyard.
It's amazingly walk-in with its 420 ft FOV (it's at least 395 ft, equal to the Minox HG 8x33 I owned before). So I can understand what Chandler Robbins sees in the 10x50 format.
But mine are a little miscollimated and extremely cold in their color representation.
Oh yes, and the sweet spot is about 15%...

I now know that it's a Swaro 50mm I've been looking for, but it's out of reach for me.

Thanks for that information and the links, Kevin. Chandler's 10x50s do look like they were run over by a tank! Even though he's rather thin, his forearms look like Popeye's from holding up those behemoths.

I used to own a Celestron 10x50 ED Voyager. It gave the sharpest and cleanest views I've seen through a 10x50 bin. It was lightweight by comparison, about the same weight as the 10x50 Ultima.

However, most of the weight was concentrated in front, which made the bin challenging to hold steady, particularly since neither the small prism housings nor the tapering barrels offered good support for my hands. They also had a smallish 5* FOV.

In hindsight, I wish I had kept them and mounted them since I have yet to see a better view through any other 10x50 bin.

For most "looking long" birding situations, I would prefer a wider field 10x bin for birding. It's easy to miss birds of prey while scanning the skies with a smallish FOV 10x bin.

A 10x35 EII (black body edition) would do me fine for most of the year. The appeal of the 10x50 is you can use it year round and under overcast skies and peer into the shadows where shy birds often lurk. If I ever do add a 10x50 to my stable again, it would likely be a Docter 10x50 Nobilem. Even while "looking long" I prefer the 3-D effect of porros.

I think a 10x50 roof with good edge performance would be a great dual purpose bino for birding/hunting and astronomy use. If the swaro duplicated the view of my fuji 10x50 fmtr-sx I would probably get one. A fuji-like wide field of view clear to the edges combined with center/close focus for birding sounds like a great bino to me.

Brock

For a number of impecunious UK birders in the 70s and 80s (and perhaps earlier) the East German Zeiss Jena 10x50 Jenoptems presented an affordable alternative to the West German Carl Zeiss and Leica 10x40 roofs that were all the rage over here. Still many of these units (as well as 8x30s) being sold on eBay.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back