• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski DF 8x30W O GA STP (1 Viewer)

By The Way Yours Have A Green Colour On The Objective ? Maybe Have Some Time And Make A Clear Pictures In Order To See The Real Colour Of The Objective

Yes. The coating is deep green colour (see picture in thumbnail). I guess the STP stands for Swarotop? I read Habicht built after 2011 are coated with the latest coatings that gives 96% transmission. It's even rivalling my fully multi coated 7x50 at night. Perhaps a Habicht 10x40 can beat any 7x50 bino?

If one can just find the right belt with thread marks.. it can be put in front to control the two eyepieces.. maybe adding a motor with big torque.

Attachments

• swaro green.jpg
    swaro green.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 159
binoman, See the manual in the thumbnail...

Is the GA still officially called a Habicht? Because if I complained to Binostore and reasoned I ordered a Habicht 8x30W. They may say it is indeed a Habicht. The manual called it a Habicht. Is it one?

In the manual. See the use of the Reticle. In your experience. Is it accurate? What practical use can you think of it. I may keep the GA if there is good use of it as I haven't seen a reticle before in my life.

Attachments

• manual.jpg
    manual.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 365
thank you very much for the pictures. this is the colour i want in objective . I had an fujinon 7x50 fmt sx ,spectacular view but i think the habicht was a little better in terms of resolution ,colour and contrast. An 10x40 habicht would be a terrific optic instrument maybe i grab one from my friend of sweden. Only he can make me a discount .it would be fantastic for long distant observation so do not require constant refocusing

Yes i know how the reticle work . I do many measurement Once you read carefully the instructions and understand how work you can easily make measurement,But you need to know precisely the dimension of the object on target for example an windows have 5 ft a door have approx 6ft, an kept the binoculars steadier possible in order to read much accurate the number of gradation . Hard to me to explained because i don't speak english very well. I hope you figure out eventually

I can't understand why the 8x30W GA center focus is no longer made. I always considered it to be the most desirable of the Habicht models. You can see every part needed to make it on the Swedish dealer's web page. All that's required is to screw the objective barrels from the DF 8x30W O GA onto the eyepiece and prism housing of the 10x40 W GA center focus model. The 8x30W GA and 10x40W GA center focus models always shared the same eyepieces and prism housings, only differing according to which objective was attached.

Last edited:
Me to i like better the GA model versus the leather one, and seeing from your explanation how easy would be for factory to make an 8x30 GA with central focus i just don't understand why in the name of god they stop making this model.

he 8x30 habicht leather version which i had was a terrific instrument with the best apparent resolution but he do need to much care . My wedding ring scratch them on the black paint which was annoying because was in mint condition and make me to wish a rubber one

Reticles are usually marked in thousandth of a radian or 57.3 deg., and are used to estimate distance.
They are not that accurate, but obviously are useful for the military.

They can be removed, but the optics may need readjusting.
I find them a real nuisance for astro work.
They can yellow with age, usually decades.

I would think for birdwatchers IF doesn't work, but fine for astro work.

Jan, is the reason the military version is optical better simply because they tested every pair to be sure there is no lemon.. or did they put more coating or glass? But we know the optimum coatings and glass already used in the Habicht 8x30. So how can they improve it further (when they can't even solve the veiling glare which I notice obviously compared to other binos.

What is meant by "WSP"?

We have both. The normal "civilian" model and one military 10x40, both Habicht. The absolute resolution test is at night at the stars and then it is clear that the military version is far better compared to the CF version.
I don't believe in sample variation and/or cherrie picking in this class because all other 10x40 CF's I've sold are less .
From Swaro I've understood that the military specs are higher and that's the reason for the difference in performance. They also told me that they are not for sale for civilians AND will not be taken into repair, so this might become a issue!!!
Having said this, I can't remember to have had a Habicht for repair and we do this business since 1993.
I'll be at the IWA this weekend and ask Swaro what STP means and how it's possible that the military versions are for sale at an other dealer AND for cheaper prices:eek!::eek!::-C

Thank you BF for this eye opener.

Jan

Last edited:
We have both. The normal "civilian" model and one military 10x40, both Habicht. The absolute resolution test is at night at the stars and then it is clear that the military version is far better compared to the CF version.
I don't believe in sample variation and/or cherrie picking in this class because all other 10x40 CF's I've sold are less .
From Swaro I've understood that the military specs are higher and that's the reason for the difference in performance. They also told me that they are not for sale for civilians AND will not be taken into repair, so this might become a issue!!!
Having said this, I can't remember to have had a Habicht for repair and we do this business since 1993.
I'll be at the IWA this weekend and ask Swaro what STP means and how it's possible that the military versions are for sale at an other dealer AND for cheaper prices:eek!::eek!::-C

Jan

It can't be sold to civilians and Swarovski wont repair it? If true, then Binostore didn't get the item from Swarovski but from others. Say. when you guys receive the black Habicht 8x30W. Are you supposed to have a 30 year warrantee card inside? There was none in mine. No warrantee card whatsoever.

(Henry, mine has reticle and not an option)

Me to i like better the GA model versus the leather one, and seeing from your explanation how easy would be for factory to make an 8x30 GA with central focus i just don't understand why in the name of god they stop making this model.
I think it is a matter of weight. The GA model is considerably heavier than the 8x30 W model and I for one see no reason for that heavy of an armour for civilian and birding use. In my opinion it is overkill except for binoculars made for war time use.

Also on my "to ask" list.

STP = strichplatte = reticle. Correct.

Yup. In this old birdforum thread in 2012. The owner has the DF without STP and it has no reticle. But something he said confused me:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=223567

In message #11 there the OP wrote:

"As I knew, the rich people in Mid East made these orders for their hunting purpose. These DFs are not military orders. Military DFs has special serial numbers and have laser filter inside. My 8x30 has IPD scales. For the accessories, it has two flip objective covers, rubber rainguard, wide strap, and a 30 year warranty.

I bought my DF from a dealer in Beijing. The dealer has good relationship with Swarovski, and he added some extra units follow in the Mid-East order. Three models available , and the 7X42 has a scale reticle. Optically, it is identical to the Habicht 8X30 W."

So there are DFs for civilian use? If mine is. How come I don't see any 30 year warrantee inside? Did you guys have this inside your black body Habicht box?

Jan

Jan, What is the letter of the first character of the serial number of your "military" 10x40? Is it an "S" or "B"? Because in the mentioned thread
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=223567
the OP said those are made for a special hunting group in Saudi Arabia. This means it is not made for military and no milspec in the optics quality.

Jan

When you go to IWA today and meet Swaro. Please ask specifically what the first letter of the serial numbers in the 8x30W DF mean.. because based on the previous thread. The Saudi military ordered them prior to year 2010 starting with the "S" in the serial number. Later they made DFs for the civilians with letter "B". But the posters in the old thread assume "S" has the reticle while "B" has none. But now I have a "B" with reticle (STP). So did Swaro make "B" with reticle adding designation STP and are these for civilians use only or did they use "B" for both civilians and military. This is the critical factors to ask.

I guess they make better tolerances for the military version like strictly following 115/D resolving power and 240/D for the civilians.

I'm deciding the nature of my 8x30W DF and need to decide fast what to do with it before Binostore would even refuse an exchange as more days elapse. Thanks so much.

Ping Rathaus!

In old thread http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=301297&page=2 in message # 45 in which I couldn't reply because it's over 288 days old.. Rathaus mentioned:

Birding just today, I noticed that the very late model Swedish military IF 8x30 Habicht to be slightly sharper and brighter than my equivalent standard 8x30 Habicht.

Is this a coincidence...just an on the day thing....or is there superiority in the IF design?

Rathaus

Rathaus. Is your standard 8x30 Habicht made after 2011 or prior? If after.. is the Swedish military IF 8x30 Habicht really slightly sharper and brighter than the standard updated one (with 96% transmission made after 2011)? I got shipped this IF 8x30 instead of the black one and I'm deciding whether to keep it or exchange it to the standard black one. After one year of observation. How can you say about them? Thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back