• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Leica September 4 2017 (1 Viewer)

Can anyone say anything positive about the tinny focusing wheel?
Guess it should be handled with kid gloves....but even those could be too large.

Last edited:
Peatmos, post 118,
Date of release of the new Trinovids should be in about two weeks I heard.
PeterPS, post 121,
The focussing wheel of the original Trinovids worked very well, no problem, so I see no reason why these new ones would not work well also.
Gijs van Ginkel

Seconded.

Hermann

Guten tag Hermann - but I could not help remember you saying, just a few days ago..

If Leica really make a run of 7x35s like the old Trinovid, I'd get one more or less straightaway. The old Trinovid was in many ways a great bin. It needs modern multicoatings, dielectric coatings on the prisms and phasecoatings to be competitive. Nothing else.

Hermann

|:D|

Guten tag Hermann - but I could not help remember you saying, just a few days ago..

|:D|

Its a nice joke Patudo but one would expect a roof prism binocular to be waterproof today without having to specify it in a wish-list :king:

Lee

I really like that Leica has revived the original Trinovid. It was no small feat to redesign this binocular
with the original Uppendahl prism system.

Jerry

Jerry
The spec sheet on the website just states 'roof prism'.

I haven't seen anything yet to confirm that Uppendahl's are used. And the almost reasonable price suggests SPs.

I really hope you are right about this.

Lee

I'd really love to know - what actual optical advantages the Uppendahls offer over Schmidt-Pechans in their current state of development?

Jerry

I haven't seen anything yet to confirm that Uppendahl's are used. And the almost reasonable price suggests SPs.

Lee

It says Uppendahl in the press release.

" The extremely slim design could be achieved thanks to the built-in Uppendahl-prism, which is also used in the new Leica Trinovid."

https://en.leica-camera.com/Company...elease-Binoculars-icon-with-modern-technology

Patudo:
Small size, low weight and high transmission I guess would be the benefits.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/trinovid/10x40.htm

"Leica accomplished this performance by using an exotic, unique and expensive Uppendahl prism system. Leica stopped using this Uppendahl system in favor of the cheaper-to-manufacture roof prisms used today.

Sadly, roof and porro prisms just can't compare. The Uppendahl prism system gives a longer optical path with less size and weight, which seems to be responsible for the smaller size, lighter weight and wider field of these original TRINOVIDs."

Last edited:
But not on their Technical Data pdf, where it clearly states roof prism.

They look rather nice I always preferred the 10x40 format. I recently bought some Zeiss 10x42 STs to complement by Swarovski 8x32s and as an upgrade for my 31 year old Dialyts. Would have been quite interested in these new models 600 grams is attractive as are the calf leather bags rather than the modern over engineered bags.
Wonder how it matches up to the Habicht 10x40 porro prisms optically?

Jerry

Lee

Go to page 22 of the Leica PDF in their website titled "Experience Nature." It says they use Uppendahl Prisms.

Bob

Pete, Vespo and Bob

Many thanks for confirming Uppendahls. That is great news.

I am on holiday at the moment and haven't searched the Leica site as diligently as usual so thanks a lot guys.

Lee

I really like that Leica has revived the original Trinovid. It was no small feat to redesign this binocular
with the original Uppendahl prism system.

I think Leica did not really redesign this binocular, but simply re-issue the orginial Trinovids with its Uppendahl roof prism system. The only up-dates appear to be the coatings and modern eyecups. Apart from this, the optical and mechanical design seems unchanged, as the last Trinovids of this type also had 15 mm eye relieve and were called "splash proof".

Holger has linked a chapter on Uppendahl prisms from his book here: http://www.juelich-bonn.com/jForum/read.php?9,435679 From reading this chapter, the advantage of the prism is not so much optical but that it allows for short compact binoculars. It protrudes to one side however, thus an open bridge or a slim bridge design, as in most modern bins, would not be possible with Uppendahls.

On their PDF i can only read Roof Prism with phase coating, nothing about uppendahls.
The Uppendahl is a type of roof prism, so this isn’t contradictory information – just insufficient information.

Remember the days when Leica published detailed notes like the attached PDF from 1998 when it launched new products? Those were the days!

(If anyone knows of a repository of Leica’s “product information” sheets, I’d love to hear about it.)

Attachments

• Trinovid_12x50_BA_product_info.pdf
    250.1 KB · Views: 102
I think Leica did not really redesign this binocular, but simply re-issue the orginial Trinovids with its Uppendahl roof prism system. The only up-dates appear to be the coatings and modern eyecups. Apart from this, the optical and mechanical design seems unchanged, as the last Trinovids of this type also had 15 mm eye relieve and were called "splash proof".

Holger has linked a chapter on Uppendahl prisms from his book here: http://www.juelich-bonn.com/jForum/read.php?9,435679 From reading this chapter, the advantage of the prism is not so much optical but that it allows for short compact binoculars. It protrudes to one side however, thus an open bridge or a slim bridge design, as in most modern bins, would not be possible with Uppendahls.

I agree with you.

I looked at Allbinos report on the specs of the Leitz Trinovid 7x35 BA. (Armored) They don't have a picture of them. I noted that they remark that they were only manufactured from 1981 to 1983. The exit pupil is incorrect and given as 4mm.

https://www.allbinos.com/1652-Leitz_Trinovid_7x35_BA-binoculars_specifications.html

Addendum Here:

I looked again at the Leitz Binoculars site on Allbinos and found that there was also a Leitz Trinovid 7x35 B which was made from 1965 through 1983. Pictures of it are shown (A 1972 Olympics commemorative binocular is shown and it is grand looking indeed! :king:) and in this one the exit pupil is correct. So it looks like Leitz discontinued them in 1983.

https://www.allbinos.com/1638-Leitz_Trinovid_7x35_B-binoculars_specifications.html

Bob

Last edited:
The 7x35 was produced from 1964 through 1986. The 8x40 from 1964 through 1988. The 10x40 from 1962 through 1988.
BA versions were made from 1978 on for the 8 and 10x40, from 1981 on for the 7x35, all this until the last years of production.

(Information based on serial numbers).

Renze

Last edited:
Bob,post 136,
Allbinos is correct according to publications by Leitz from that time period. I have never seen one, but the 7x35BA in rubber is also mentioned as being made in green and in black rubber. Shortly after the year 2000 I gave a lecture in Wetzlar in which I presented data among others from two different Leitz 7x35B binocuars and the optical performance differed quite a bit. So I had asked the leadership of Leitz what could have happened here and after some time I received a letter from mr. Hengst (I think he was retIred already at that time, but I am not sure) that Leitz had decided to upgrade the Trinovid 7x35B, since they were so much in demand. The upgrade consisted of much stronger demands on precision, improved coatings and some other measures I forgot (I could not find mr. Hengst's letter so quickly) but the result clearly was that the 7x35B binoculars produced in later years were much brighter than the first ones from 1965-1970.
And the newest ones will even be brighter and made up to the latest standards of optical performance.
Gijs van Ginkel

With respect to the issue of splash resistance vs guaranteed waterproof, nitrogen no or nitrogen yes, has anyone on this forum ever heard of fogged-up Leitz Trinovids, be it from own experience or information from friends, relatives or strangers?

Renze

Uppendahl prism, with AK and SP in the background

Attachments

• Upp prism (1).JPG
    Upp prism (1).JPG
    693.6 KB · Views: 169
  • Upp prism (2).JPG
    Upp prism (2).JPG
    702.3 KB · Views: 103
  • Upp prism (3).JPG
    Upp prism (3).JPG
    702.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Upp prism (4).JPG
    Upp prism (4).JPG
    721.6 KB · Views: 92
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back