• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Historical Review of Swift 804 Audubon Binoculars (3 Viewers)

Max,

Thank you. The 1968 mentioned for type 1c's introduction to the market awaits correction indeed as we have seen 1c's from as early as 1965. Unfortunately this is only one example of many more errrors, gaps and imperfections we need te address in an updated version of our Audubon survey.

Renze

Max,

Thank you. The 1968 mentioned for type 1c's introduction to the market awaits correction indeed as we have seen 1c's from as early as 1965. Unfortunately this is only one example of many more errrors, gaps and imperfections we need te address in an updated version of our Audubon survey.

Renze
Thanks Renze. If you would be interested in photos once I receive them, please let me know.
Regards
Max

I have been reading this thread with interest, and have on the spur of the moment bought a pair of I think 1c's. Rense and Edward appear to say that the 1c started in 1968, but the serial number on the pair I have just purchased, but not yet received, starts 67. Is this already known?
I can give more details if required, but they appear to be identical to treemans on post 157.
Max

Hi Max,

I'm hoping you might have a Type 1b, or even a 1a. If there are two white bands at the front of the objective cap, however, it could also be a Swift-Pyser "Audubon, " BWCF, which was marketed in 1966 or earlier. If so, I don't believe it would say Model 804 on the right cover plate. Good pictures would really help.

What do you think, Renze?

Ed

Hi Ed,
I have been informed that this pair of bins has been posted and will be here either today or tomorrow. I will gladly take piccies. Do you want me to post them here, or send them to you privately? If privately send me your email address via PM.
I am completely intrigued by this series of bins already!
Max

Hi All,
OK, they have arrived and the condition is good. The only blemish is a nasty knock on the focussing wheel. Looking through them the 'wrong' way they appear to be very clean internally with no fungus present. But, there appears to be a minor mark like a short scratch on the left prism (?). For some reason also, the left optic will not come to perfect focus/resolution. The right optic is fine. Collimation appears also to be OK. Any suggestions as to why the left optic isn't clear/focussed would be appreciated. I guess it's possible that they aren't as clean I think they are. I'm tempted to have them stripped and cleaned, but I'd hate to see them come back with screwdriver marks on the screw heads and other possible signs of entry. If anybody knows of a really good repair shop in the UK I might consider it.
From a collectors viewpoint the only thing that appears odd is the hinge mark JLB26 on one side, with the more usual JLE45 on the other. Comments please.
Regards
Max

Attachments

• DSCF0002 2.jpg
    DSCF0002 2.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 241
  • DSCF0003 2.jpg
    DSCF0003 2.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 208
  • DSCF0007 2.jpg
    DSCF0007 2.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 254
  • DSCF0005 2.jpg
    DSCF0005 2.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 305
  • DSCF0013 2.jpg
    DSCF0013 2.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 254
Two extra piccies I couldn't load on the previous post.

Attachments

• DSCF0009 2.jpg
    DSCF0009 2.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 245
  • DSCF0017 2.jpg
    DSCF0017 2.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Hi Max,

The pictures are quite useful, and Renze is quite right, we need to update the paper. In fact, my very own 1c is dated 1965, and yet the paper says it was marketed starting in 1968. How did this happen? :h?:

Well, at the time the paper was written in '05 we did not yet know that the date of manufacture was encoded in the serial number. That brainstorm occurred on this forum (probably earlier in this thread). As can be seen in the second photo, the JL mark(s) were also quite faint on my specimen, only E45 being legible. So, it was easy enough to leave out the B26, which shows clearly on your specimen.

I have also attached the list of Japanese makers marks, downloaded from http://home.europa.com/~telscope/jbcode.txt 10/. Although the writeup says that "...'JB' and two or three digits identifies the manufacturer of the finished binocular, and 'JE' identifies the maker of the body...", only Bxxx marks are listed. This suggests that Tamron made the body of the binocular and Futaba put together the finished product. Still, we know that the design was developed by Mr. Tamura of Tamron Optical Co. for Swift-Anderson, Co. in the mid-1950s. Moreover, since the original Type-0 Audubon predated this marking system, which began in the early 1960s, it's possible that Type-1a or 1b also had no such marks. Thus far, however, no one has claimed to be the owner of a 1a or 1b, so the conjecture can't be verified.

To add even more confusion, note that the list of Japanese marks shows that two companies share JB-45: Taisei Kogaku Kogyo Co and Tamron Co., Ltd., Tokyo.

Ed

Attachments

• Type 1c E. Huff.jpg
    Type 1c E. Huff.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 247
  • Type 1c E. Huff JL mark.jpg
    Type 1c E. Huff JL mark.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 214
  • Japanese Bino Manufacturers.pdf
    53.5 KB · Views: 705
Last edited:
Is is possible to say how the Audubon Mk 11 with the blue ribbon compare to modern porros?

I still get a very crisp image from some Opticron 10X42s marked High Resolution... doubtless some newer binoculars are better - but much better?

Hi Clem,

I take it that you have a Type-3a large body model made in the 1970s or 80s, correct? Please tell us the first two digits of the serial number, which will indicate the year of manufacture. (See pg. 13 of our 804 article.)

All of the large-body types that I've examined, including Types 0 through 3, suffer from serious prism/eyepiece reflections and glare that would not be tolerated today. Also, by comparison with the improved Type 4 design (and the 820), transmission is compromised severely by coating deficiencies. In my opinion, the only 804s that are seriously bird worthy today, therefore, also have some level of multi-coating, e.g., the 804R, HR/5, 804ED, and 820.

Now, that's not to say the 3a and earlier models aren't usable, but there's no point in understating the significance of design improvements either.

Regards,
Ed

Last edited:
That's helpful, elkcub.

I was considering buying a 'cheap and cheerful' pair but my money's now going to something a bit more modern - and expensive, of course!

Audubon Mark II Model 804

I recently bought the Swift Audubon Mark II Model 804 binoculars at a yard sale. I have compared them to the different types found in the excellent history of these binoculars written by Edward M. Huff and Renze de Vries. There is not an exact match with any of the types shown.
Attached are pictures of these binoculars in hopes that the type can be identified.

Attachments

• left-face-plate.jpg
    left-face-plate.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 220
  • right-face-plate.jpg
    right-face-plate.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 273
  • objective-lens.jpg
    objective-lens.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 241
  • serial-number.jpg
    serial-number.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 242
I recently bought the Swift Audubon Mark II Model 804 binoculars at a yard sale. I have compared them to the different types found in the excellent history of these binoculars written by Edward M. Huff and Renze de Vries. There is not an exact match with any of the types shown.
Attached are pictures of these binoculars in hopes that the type can be identified.

Hi Javan,

Going from left to right, Pict. #1 shows that this is a Type 2, because of the location of the focusing wheel. Pict #2 shows it was marketed in the US because Model 804 is on the right cover plate. Pict. #3 shows characteristic amber and UV coated objective marking, and Pict. #4 shows the date of manufacture to be 1983. It is true that "Feather Weight" isn't shown on the left cover plate as it is on my 1981 model, — but this is clearly a Type 2b variant.

Do you use it and how do you like it if you do?

Ed

Last edited:
Hi Javan,

Do you use it and how do you like it if you do?

Ed

I bought it three days ago, so I have not had a chance to use it yet. I did check out the optics and the focus, and it was real sharp from the close focus to distant objects. I'm looking forward to taking it out in the woods.

Swift Audubon 804 useful accessory

Hi everybody,
This is my first post on this (or any other) forum, so please be gentle with me!
I have really enjoyed reading the history of the Swift Audubon. I own a large body Type 3a with a blue band which seems to have been made for the European market.
The serial number on the hinge cap is No.26-713353 and the body is stamped B56.
I bought my binoculars on the advice of an old chap who I work with, who has been birding for over 30 years and really knows his optics. I won them on ebay and paid £55 for them. They are superb as everybody reading this will already know, but I have massively improved the image of my bins with a very simple modification.
I don't know if it's the shape of my face but I was always aware of reflections in the eyepieces when viewing through my bins varying from hardly noticable to quite annoying depending on the time of day, angle of the sun etc.
I have solved this problem by fitting winged eyeshields, and the difference really is outstanding.
The eyeshields are made in the U.S.A by Field Optics Research and their website is www.clearbirds.com. I bought mine from Ace optics in Bath, and they cost £21 inc.postage.
When you want to store the bins or fit a rainguard or caps the eyeshields flip down out of the way. They really are very good.
I bought a quality padded strap and an Opticron rainguard,and these binoculars now serve me very well as my main birding bins.
I have looked through a lot of very expensive binoculars, and it only makes me realise just how good these 40 year old classics really are.
I will never part with them, and I believe they will get even more collectable.

Hi everybody,
This is my first post on this (or any other) forum, so please be gentle with me!
I have really enjoyed reading the history of the Swift Audubon. I own a large body Type 3a with a blue band which seems to have been made for the European market.
The serial number on the hinge cap is No.26-713353 and the body is stamped B56.
I bought my binoculars on the advice of an old chap who I work with, who has been birding for over 30 years and really knows his optics. I won them on ebay and paid £55 for them. They are superb as everybody reading this will already know, but I have massively improved the image of my bins with a very simple modification.
I don't know if it's the shape of my face but I was always aware of reflections in the eyepieces when viewing through my bins varying from hardly noticable to quite annoying depending on the time of day, angle of the sun etc.
I have solved this problem by fitting winged eyeshields, and the difference really is outstanding.
The eyeshields are made in the U.S.A by Field Optics Research and their website is www.clearbirds.com. I bought mine from Ace optics in Bath, and they cost £21 inc.postage.
When you want to store the bins or fit a rainguard or caps the eyeshields flip down out of the way. They really are very good.
I bought a quality padded strap and an Opticron rainguard,and these binoculars now serve me very well as my main birding bins.
I have looked through a lot of very expensive binoculars, and it only makes me realise just how good these 40 year old classics really are.
I will never part with them, and I believe they will get even more collectable.

I have used Field Optics eyeshields on a number of roof glasses with great success (they really do sharpen the image and, in some cases, help with eye relief blackout problems), but I've always been skittish about using them on porros for fear of loosening the bridge. Glad they worked for you. Your Audubons really are remarkable optical instruments.

I have a type 1c AUdubon that I use the FOR winged shields on. Why the would harm the Swift bridge I don't quite get, unless one is constantly fiddling with taking them on or off. Just run the focus where the bridge is down all the way and put it on.

Mine looks like a 4b(1) 804 from pg 17 as it has multi-coted optics on the left cover, yet the serial # 9603XX. Came w/rainguard w/Swift inside reticle and then Audubon w/r in a circle & a blue Swift strap.

Also says 89-92 evah so roughly for the 4b(1) & 92-99 for the 4b(2). Are you still claiming the first two digits of the SN are the year?
I have 804 on the right cover. Just curious how long they made the MC.

Last edited:
Mine looks like a 4b(1) 804 from pg 17 as it has multi-coted optics on the left cover, yet the serial # 9603XX. Came w/rainguard w/Swift inside reticle and then Audubon w/r in a circle & a blue Swift strap.

Also says 89-92 evah so roughly for the 4b(1) & 92-99 for the 4b(2). Are you still claiming the first two digits of the SN are the year?
I have 804 on the right cover. Just curious how long they made the MC.

Hello nixterdemus,

You're right, the manufacturing dates in our Audubon survey are awaiting correction. For type 4b-1 we have seen dates ranging from 1985 through 1996. For type 4b(2), the fully multicoated version, we have dates from 1997 up to 2000.
It is very well possible though that your late 4b-1 is fully multicoated although it isn't yet printed on the binoculars. Ed has reported on this several times I believe. Check the reflecting colors of the coating on ocular and objective lenses, if there's red in them I believe they're multicoated. However Ed can say more on this.

Renze

Users who are viewing this thread

Back