• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Matt's watercolors (1 Viewer)

Thanks all! We don't typically get the evening grosbeaks in my part of Michigan... they are spectacular birds. A highlight of a trip to Michigan's Upper Peninsular a few years ago was seeing Evening grosbeaks and boreal chickadees together.

Thanks all. My 9.5 yr old daughter discovered him outside the kitchen window while doing her schoolwork and yelled "scarlet tanager!" Sure enough she was right. The bird hung around the yard for a few days, but has since disappeared, probably to the woods near our house where we see them regularly. He came in close, within 15-20 feet!

Great work on the Scarlet Tanager! They are a species I really miss out west. I remember seeing them growing up in PA...out here we must be content with our Western Tanagers, which are definitely nice but not as dramatic as the Scarlet.

Hmmmm, just been admiring these latest pencil efforts. Very nicely done indeed with what looks like a finely honed technique.

Russ

A Baltimore oriole from the home made jelly feeder. Hollowing out a log with a drill press makes for some more natural feeders to draw the birds on.

Attachments

• baltOriole2.gif
    baltOriole2.gif
    69.7 KB · Views: 69
Thanks! You've got to like orioles.
Here is a juvenile tufted titmouse...We have a band of four that always travel together in the yard entertaining us this summer.

Attachments

• Tufted2.gif
    Tufted2.gif
    90.8 KB · Views: 38
Cracker! Just been looking back at a few of these drawings and enjoyng the beautifully rendered backgrounds - the bits of bark and especially the delightful twigs and foliage. Lovely!

Thanks Tim, I've had less time for painting lately so I was trying to move the sketches more toward "finished" drawings... or at least something that stands more on its own relative to just drawing enough outline to get it ready for the watercolors. Your sharpie studies are so great I might try to loosen up a bit with the watercolors and see what happens. I always say that, but end up working tight.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back