• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Odd crow sound (1 Viewer)

Kovarr

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with something I've been very curious about. Crows make a lot of interesting calls, but the ones around my house make a certain sound that I have never heard anywhere else before. I've contacted a few corvid experts online, but I've been unable to send them sound files (as crows always seem to shut up when you want them to talk, lol) and I have no video equipment. The few experts I have talked to have told me they have no idea what I am talking about.

Well, I just found a video on Youtube showing a crow making the very same odd noise, complete with the body motions, and so I'm wondering if anyone out there has any idea if this is a gathering call, warning call, or what?

The sound the crow makes is close to the end of the video, (around 1:04) and excuse the jumping around of the film, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS-cI8B2m6w

Last edited:
Interesting. I'm not sure what this crow is doing by uttering such a sound. However many crow species have a varied 'vocabulary' and many are excellent mimics. Could be this individual has picked up on a sound and is simply trying immitate it.

Id say almost definitly mimicking a dog! Crow in particular are quite prone to picking up various sounds and reproducing them. Dog noises are quite common apparantly, and this one sounds like its heard one some distance away and copied the sound. Odd noises from crows, differing from their usual 'caww' are almost always mimicks. Got any dogs near by?

Bloody love crows !

Id say almost definitly mimicking a dog! Crow in particular are quite prone to picking up various sounds and reproducing them. Dog noises are quite common apparantly, and this one sounds like its heard one some distance away and copied the sound. Odd noises from crows, differing from their usual 'caww' are almost always mimicks. Got any dogs near by?

Bloody love crows !

We do have dogs, but the crows around our place make a different sound even from the one in the video. I don't think it's mimicking a dog, and it's strange to see a crow so far away from where I live (The one in the video is from the southern states, I think), making the same sound. It's really interesting, though!

Reminds me of crows I saw as a child in India. Have seen many large billed crows make this noise. Used to think there was something mechanical going on - some fault that prevented normal sounding Kaa. I have seen one crow which could kaa normally and make a funny noise. The others seemed capable of the funny kaa alone. Interested to know the real reason.

Sorry to reboot an old thread but I arrived here because I was trying to figure out why a crow in our yard was making such a strange sound. It's just like the noise in the video! I'm 60 kms northwest of Red Deer, Alberta.

Interesting to also note:

- I'm pretty sure I've never heard it before, and there are crows around often;
- The crow has been alone all day, which I think may be unusual (granted, it's possible that I only notice them when they're in a pair/group because they make such a racket);
- The crow has also been kaaw'ing-- A LOT. All day.

I can't imagine the crow is just bored. There must be something up. But what?

- LD

* Edit: I forgot to note that this crow is making the same sort of hunching/bowing motion as the one in the video.

Last edited:
Hi, greetings from Georgia

I came across the forum today searching the web for curious crow sounds, hoping to be enlightened on the sound and body action that I have been privvy to throughout this spring and summer, til August, when it suddenly stopped. Just like in the video posted! Every day I heard and watched this curious habit. I'm outside a lot (have horses) and the crow always seemed to make its presence known to me when I came out of the house. In the crabapple or the maple or the cherry. Unperturbed by my activities. I always stopped to listen and watch. Has anyone figured out what it's about? There are many crows here. But this experience was quite unique. Loved it!

Sorry to pick up an old thread. Appreciate finding the video, thank you Kovarr!

Similar to a crow call I heard today (UK Dorset), file attached; it calls 3 times. As I got closer it flew off with usual caws. Only bird in the tree so sure it was the crow.

Attachments

• 040224110829.wav
    1 MB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back