• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A BoP question (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hi there

What BoP would dive down for fish in Central France, other than the Osprey? Is a Marsh Harrier a likely candidate? The bird was mostly brown coloured

We have have a friend asking this question, and we would like to give an appropriate answer.

Thank you in advance :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Just Osprey in France. Dont forget the upperwing on an osprey is brown and with a strongly marked head the whole bird could look brown

Hi Kathy,

I've seen Black Kites do a similar thing: diving down to snatch stuff off the surface of a lake. This was in central France where they are one of the conspicuous birds of prey. Harriers, in my experience, don't dive into lakes.

Hope this helps and you identify your mistery bird :)

N

My first thought if its definitely not Osprey would also be for Black Kite. I've seen the behaviour in Switzerland near Interlaken.

John

Thank you for your replies everyone. It has given some food for thought. :t:

Kites seen to fit what has been seen, and it looks more likely to be the 'noted' bird. :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

I've seen Black Kites doing this on Lake Geneva a few times. Not plunging into the water exactly, but swooping down to take something from the surface.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back