• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Late nesting UK (1 Viewer)

George London

Last weekend saw a Spotted Flycatcher nest with two young, probably with at least a week before fledging.

Has anyone else seen any nests still in use this just struck me as being quite late?

George

It's quite late, but not particularly late for Spotted Flycatcher. Some species, e.g House Martins sometimes have young in the nest in late September.

Yesterday I saw a pair of whitethroats and a pair of sedge warblers taking food to nests. I think that second broods for whitethroats in particular are considered unusual in these parts.

House Martin nests are still active here and there's House Sparrows in on box that have only just hatched...

Considering how late Spotted Flycatchers have arrived I am not surprised. Black-headed Gulls still had not too big chicks at Martin Mere 2 weeks ago. Shelduck and Gadwall also had quite small young.

Has the weather had any affects on the way birds have bred this year?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back