• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lure birds for foto or movie (1 Viewer)

Depends on the bird. Birds of prey won't come in for seed but they will for bits of raw meat. Would advise against the use of suet/peanut butter because it sticks to the bill and makes for "messy" birdie faces. Mealworms are a good "lure" for seed eaters as well as flycatchers, and of course seed and especially sunflower hearts would be good. Would discourage the use of bacon, raw or cooked, because of the additives and salt used in curing.

As Katy said, it depends on the bird. For common German garden birds, I suggest normal bird food or seed. Try putting a feeder or two out - peanuts and a seed mix. Maybe sunflower seeds. Apart from that, Katy's advice is very good!

What's the bird you're hoping to film/photograph?

birds

Hallo Katy and David,

now I tried to get photo from e.g.
Wren Troglodytes troglodytes
Chaffinch Fringilla coelebs
Jay Garrulus glandarius
Great tit
Blue tit
Great spotted woodpecker
Green woodpecker

Bustard ( Otis tarda ) to lure is not alowed. Maybe better come early in the morning or late in the evening.
Another problem very ofter appear. I drove in foreign countries ( like New Zealand ) with car and passed eagles ( or other hunting birds ) very near.
When I stopped and open the door, the bird fly away.
The same happened when I drove with bicycle on river Oder. Driving 5 m away from the bird ( seat on the branch in the tree ) is no problem.
Stop and try photo is impossible.
I use camcorder Sony HC DCR-1000 and Canon EOS 300 with 300 mm Zoom.

Best regards
Dieter

albatross02 said:
Another problem very ofter appear. I drove in foreign countries ( like New Zealand ) with car and passed eagles ( or other hunting birds ) very near.
When I stopped and open the door, the bird fly away.

Last year on the road to the second bustard tower in Garlitz there was a very obliging Buzzard which let you drive nearby. Other birds there were also relatively fearless.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back