• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sharpie Pen Strikes Again! (2 Viewers)

- maybe it was the NEWA I was thnking about, Nick. Cheers.

I can't find a lid which fits this can of worms I've opened. Thanks for the insights - I'm developing the characters a tad and I thik a smaller colour comp is in order . . .

Attachments

• flopper1.JPG
    flopper1.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 70
  • flopper2.JPG
    flopper2.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 66
I can see why it might seem like a can of worms but this painting is already 98% of the way done. And it's a very exciting painting.

I'm always a little reluctant to say anything because I think criticisms, even the most positive, can really get blown out of all proportion, so that they seem far larger than they are. As I look at your painting I realize how difficult it is to get birds to fit in their background, especially with such complex poses. But it's the poses that make it so exciting. Glad you have the nerve and stamina to make it work!

It will be a stunning painting when it's done, and it's almost there now.

It will be a stunning painting when it's done, and it's almost there now.
Thanks Ken, but I fear it isn't. Obviously being done in watercolour, this requires a new beginning and I have a feeling it will be in this direction; . . . maybe . . .

Attachments

• tinycomp.JPG
    tinycomp.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 77
trace the birds onto paper and play around with cutouts, you'll find the composition in no time - also, if you're as lazy as I am, you can glue them onto the picture and saves you having to draw them again!

Each of the worms in this can is incredibly delicious though!

Thanks Ken, but I fear it isn't. Obviously being done in watercolour, this requires a new beginning and I have a feeling it will be in this direction; . . . maybe . . .

How about the rear bird in the new comp with the foreground bird in same position as original watercolour might just crack it wide open, the near raised wing of the rear bird is the perfect answer....

Ahhh! Rain has just ceased here, I'm off out to check my gulls...

Send the old watercolour on this direction when your done;)

Last edited:
Send the old watercolour on this direction when your done;)

That will teach me to go off birding and sketching and not stick around the forum. I see now that Alan has beat me to it on the old watercolor!;)

I trust your judgment always Tim so look forward to seeing the new one. That old one is a mighty worthy painting though.

I think this one works now? Certainly better for the pulled focus, giving the birds a tad more breathing space and the positioning of both birds higher in the frame gives a better lead-in to the characters. Thanks again for the helpful discussion, all.

Attachments

• Follow Me small.JPG
    Follow Me small.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 110
yes, it works, my eye can move and return to the focal point which is now one place instead of two the central bird has the show the other the supporting actor....like it a lot now, the little flowers help the eye move too and creating that bg lets the birds be our focus. Great solutions to a most difficult problem.

and you have very nicely made the words integrated into the whole thing without distracting, they are just a part of the whole...brilliant!

I think this one works now? Certainly better for the pulled focus, giving the birds a tad more breathing space and the positioning of both birds higher in the frame gives a better lead-in to the characters. Thanks again for the helpful discussion, all.

I think it works fine Tim and looks more typically 'Wootton.' But I just took another look at the first one and I still think it's a very strong work, maybe just a little bit unusual for you in that there is no lead in and you land smack dab in the middle of a lot of action.

But the new one is a great lesson in how to go about getting what you the artist want in your painting. It's been a pleasure to see the development of both, though maybe more for us the viewers than for you the artist.;)

P.S. Have to echo Colleen on how well the words fit in.

A scene from the school-run this morning; a field teeming with lapwing and newly-arrived golden plovers. A further development is again required, but this has some of the feel to the morning, I think.

Attachments

• Lapwings and Golden Plovers.JPG
    Lapwings and Golden Plovers.JPG
    193.5 KB · Views: 97
A scene from the school-run this morning; a field teeming with lapwing and newly-arrived golden plovers. A further development is again required, but this has some of the feel to the morning, I think.

that's beautiful- lovely shadows on the golden plover and a lesson for us all- spangly and bright without a single spot of yellow

and you noted all that from the school run!!! :eek!:

Only women are supposed to multi-task ;)

Lovely!
We did make a brief halt, Mark - mirror, indicate, manouvre hand-brake the truck into a ditch and get 'one of those looks' from underneath Edie's brow. 'you and your b100dy birds' - my 9 year old recites like a mantra.

We did make a brief halt, Mark - mirror, indicate, manouvre hand-brake the truck into a ditch and get 'one of those looks' from underneath Edie's brow. 'you and your b100dy birds' - my 9 year old recites like a mantra.
that sounds like my Linda....

Top drawer stuff Tim, I've booked a ride on the local school bus tomorrow..

Our school district has openings for school bus drivers - maybe I should apply...! Wonderful piece, Tim!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back