• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jilin sightings (1 Viewer)

Tom in Jilin,

The swallows/martins above look like Eurasian Tree Sparrows in flight but not completely sure.

The Bunting is a Yellow-browed.

The shrikes are all Brown Shrikes

The wagtail is White Wagtail ssp leucopsis

Tom in Dalian.

Thanks, Tom. It may be that I accidently filmed the ETSs, thinking they were the swallows. But I do know that there were swallows/martins also, and they didn't look like Barn Swallows.

Today I am off for Longtan Park.

Tom in Jilin.

Yesterday's sightings at Beishan Park were interesting. I really enjoyed getting out in nature. Such peace and quiet (with the occasional yell heard in the distance). Then the loudspeakers came on. I guess many parks are like this here in China, the serenity marred by the didactic droning of someone telling us to enjoy the peace of being out in nature!

I saw and heard a Eurasian Cuckoo. First time for me, even though I had lived for years in Germany. He sounded just like the clock.

Some other birds I want to run by this board, one a reddish one. But these will wait until I get back from today's outing.

It may be that I am uploading too many pics here, so I will try to just do the ones that seem more noteworthy.

Tom in Jilin

Sounds like you are having fun Tom ! I think you'd get a far faster response to ID requests in the ID forum as many of the people here are working or out birding ! Just make sure you add the location, 'Jilin, China' to the title so the China experts can help you out. They are incredibly knowledgeable !

Guldenstadt's Redstart - Phoenicurus erythrogaster

My wife and I managed to squeeze in a short trip to Lafa Shan, Dunhua and Mudanjiang, then back through Harbin on our way here to Jilin again. For now I just want to share one interesting bird I saw and photographed on Lafa Shan. As far as I can tell, this is the Guldenstadt's redstart (umlauts needed). See the photo.

If it is indeed this bird, then he is quite far out of his limits.

Tom in jilin

(Sorry for the typos. I am n a hurry, being on batteries)

Attachments

• DSCF6814.JPG
    DSCF6814.JPG
    271.3 KB · Views: 32
Tom,

I believe your bird is a Daurian Redstart. They can show quite a bit of white on their head. Maybe more this time of year?

Tom in Dalian.

Tom,

I believe your bird is a Daurian Redstart. They can show quite a bit of white on their head. Maybe more this time of year?

Tom in Dalian.

OK. Too bad, but thanks. Anyway I have a few other birds to sort through when I get the time. I see now that the amount of black on the tail is the clincher, the Guldenstadt having very little.

Being still fairly new to China I still need to get a sense of what the "usual suspects" are, the common birds that need to be considered. I remember when I first started birding years ago. I saw a House Sparrow. Looking through my bird book for sparrows, I concluded it must be the uncommon Harris Sparrow!

Thanks for the quick response, Tom.

Tom in Jilin

Last edited:
Tom,

I hear you and don't claim to be an expert myself. If you dig around the birdforum posts from a few years ago, I believe I asked the same question about a Daurian Redstart!

Tom in Dalian.

I am going through my pictures and videos of our trip through Jilin and Heilongjiang provinces. The following video and pic our from a bird I saw in Lafa Shan, near Jilin City. Is this the Siberian Accentor? If not, what could it be?

Thanks in advance.

Tom in Jilin

I wasn't able to post the video, which is shame since the picture is somewhat blurry. But hopefully it is enough to go on. The video of the bird's singing uploaded onto my Flickr site.

Attachments

• DSCF7006sa.jpg
    DSCF7006sa.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 40
This is a Phylloscopus warblerof some sort - my guess would be yellow-browed, but there's not much to go on in this pic

Cheers
Mike

This is a Phylloscopus warblerof some sort - my guess would be yellow-browed, but there's not much to go on in this pic

Cheers
Mike

Thanks. I am batting 1000 (not!) on these Chinese bird IDs. But that is part of the fun. I can go back to the video and try to figure out the song and compare it with my online book. Luckily the bird is fairly sharply focused on the video.

Tom in Jilin

Thanks. I am batting 1000 (not!) on these Chinese bird IDs. But that is part of the fun. I can go back to the video and try to figure out the song and compare it with my online book. Luckily the bird is fairly sharply focused on the video.

Tom in Jilin

Here is the video link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/asterisktom/7313742660/in/photostream

Judging by the song and by what detail I can see it seems to be either a Yellow-browed (most likely) or a Pallas's Leaf-Warbler. At least I can't see any other option. Additional information: This bird was seen on one of the medium-high ridges of the Lafa Shan Mountains.
Tom in Jilin

Last edited:
My remaining time in Jilin proved so busy or diverting that I never got around to posting the rest of my birding activities in that province. I have plenty of notes and pictures still. Later I will post the best ones.

We are now in Kansas, but it looks like I may be getting another teaching stint, this time (fingers crossed) in Dalian.

Tom of Jilin and Kansas,

Get over here!

Tom of Dalian

p.s. schools in Jinshitan offer the most birding opportunities.....at least the development zone.

Tom of Jilin and Kansas,

Get over here!

Tom of Dalian

p.s. schools in Jinshitan offer the most birding opportunities.....at least the development zone.

I'm hurrying things up the best I can. BTW, the school is 大连财经学院
Dalian University of Finance and Economics. It looks to be more in a city area. But it would be good to just be in the Dalian area.

To be back in China, for that matter.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back