• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

my life list (1 Viewer)

erik

cheesehead
Netherlands
Hey my dear friends,

i finally put down a list of all the species i've ever seen. Now don't be startled, i really never did that before, i kept it all in my brains. Now i decided to get my birdingbook and type out all the species i have ever seen, for as far as i could remember. It took me quite some brainwork especially on wadrs and everything but i finished it. Too bad for you guys it's still in dutch and i will have to translate it first. I can say i have 165 species on my list at the moment. COuld be more but i am not sure about some birds and then i rather not put them on my list. I saw 144 of these species in the Netherlands, and the rest abroad.
As soon as i translated it i will post it around here!

Come on Michael. Go ahead and post. You post yours and I will post my pitiful count. Now if you are embarrassed because it is so high then the deal is off.

Where are my manners. I'm sorry Erik, I meant to congratulate you on your compiliation of your life list. I'm looking forward to seeing just what you have there.

Erik,
Congratulations on getting it all down on one list! I just recently finished mine several months ago. I took all my old trip notes, all the scribbled sightings in my different bird field guides, and a very few from memory. I still have to go through my old photo album to get some that I just photo'd but didn't write down. I think I'll do that next year!

Anyway, I know how good you must feel about having this task finished. Now you just have to keep it updated every time the Bird committee splits one of your species :)

KCFoggin said:
Come on Michael. Go ahead and post. You post yours and I will post my pitiful count. Now if you are embarrassed because it is so high then the deal is off.
Errr . . . yes . . . Let's say my list is also 165 . . . my 2003 Northumberland County yearlist . . as of 18th April 2003 . . . . I didn't want to embarrass Erik! ;)

Michael

Well done on getting your list down erik.

I only had mine in my head pre-BF but made the effort soon after I joined.

I think mine is about 170 perhaps +/- 5... but it's on BF somewhere if I've kept it up to date.

Looking forward to seeing yours!

Hi Erik,

For the translation from Dutch to English names you can use this site: http://www.bsc-eoc.org/avibase/avibase.jsp. It has both the English and the Dutch names, plus Spanish, Polish, Estonian, Russian, Japanese, etc.

Hope it helps,
Peter

P.S. When I stopped ticking for 15 years, I achieved 74 species on my youth list :clap:

hey everyone :)

Thanx for your enthusiastic replies! I'll start the translation asap. Bedankt Fulmar for the link, i use a link on Dutchbirding: http://www.knutas.com/birdsearch/

95% of all birds i dont need a tranlating machine for anymore, i did need a translating machine for the birds i saw in the usa, and had to give them a dutch name :)

I translated it! So here it is straight away:

Netherlands
Eared Grebe
Little Grebe
Great Crested Grebe
Red-necked Grebe
Fulmar Petrel
Great Cormorant
Shag
Bittern
Great White Heron
Grey Heron
White Stork
Mute Swan
Tundra Swan
Whooper Swan
Greater White-fronted Goose
Canada Goose
Grey Lag Goose
Barnacle Goose
Red-breasted Goose
Shelduck
Egyptian Goose
Mallard
Gadwall
Shoveler
Wigeon
Common Teal
Garganey
Pochard
Tufted Duck
Eider
Common Scoter
Surf Scoter
Common Goldeneye
Goosander
Blakc Kite
Marsh Harrier
Hen Harrier
Buzzard
Sparrowhawk
Goshawk
Kestrel
Peregrine Falcon
Partridge
Quail
Corn Crake (audio)
Pheasant
Water Rail
Moorhen
Coot
Oystercatcher
Pied Avocet
Little Ringed Plover
Common Ringed Plover
Lapwing
Green Sandpiper
Common Redshank
Spotted Redshank
Common Greenshank
Blacktailed Godwit
Eurasian Curlew
Common Snipe
Black-headed Gull
Mew Gull
Herring Gull
Sandwich Tern
Common Tern
Arctic Tern
Caspian Tern
Common Murre
Stock Dove
Woodpigeon
Eurasian Collared Dove
European Turtledove
Cuckoo (audio)
Long-eared Owl
Short-eared Owl
Barnowl
Swift
Kingfisher
Green Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Middle Spotted woodpecker
Eurasian Skylark
Wood Lark
Sand Martin
Barnswallow
House Martin
Meadowpipit
Tree Pipit
White Wagtail
Yellow Wagtail
Wren
Dunnock
Robin
Common Redstart
Black Redstart
Wheatear
Whinchat
Common Stonechat
Song Thrush
Redwing
Mistle Thrush
Fieldfare
Blackbird
Blackcap
Lesser Whitethroat
Common Whitethroat
Sedge Warbler
Great Reed Warbler
Willow Warbler
Wood Warbler
Chiff Chaff
Goldcrest
Firecrest
Pied Flycatcher
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Blue Tit
Crested Tit
Willow Tit
Marsh Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Nuthatch
Treecreeper
Great Grey Shrike
Magpie
Jay
Jackdaw
Rook
Hooded Crow
Starling
Golden Oriole (audio)
House Sparrow
Fox Sparrow
Common Chaffinch
Brambling
Common Linnet
European Goldfinch
Greenfinch
Bullfinch
Reed Bunting
Yellowhammer
Black Headed Bunting
Scotland
Gannet
Great Black-backed Gull
Kittiwake
Germany
Red Kite
USA
White Pelican
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Black-crowned Nightheron
Golden Eagle
Redtailed Hawk
American Kestrel
Mourning Dove
Belted Kingfisher
Northern Flicker
Broad-tailed Hummingbird
American Crow
Raven
White-breasted Nuthatch
American Robin
Common Yellowthroat
Red-winged Blackbird

I hope it didn't get boring at the end :)

Hi Erik,

Unfortunately your translator didn't translate it into English, it translated it into American . . . . here's the differences:

Eared Grebe = Black-necked Grebe
Fulmar Petrel = Fulmar
Tundra Swan = Bewick's Swan
Grey Lag Goose = Greylag Goose
Blakc Kite = Black Kite (I assume this one's a typo! ;)
Partridge = Grey Partridge
Mew Gull = Common Gull
Common Murre = Guillemot
Eurasian Collared Dove = Collared Dove
European Turtledove = Turtle Dove
Barnowl = Barn Owl
Barnswallow = Barn Swallow (or) Swallow
Meadowpipit = Meadow Pipit
Chiff Chaff = Chiffchaff

But . . .
Fox Sparrow . . . . in the NETHERLANDS ???

Michael

Last edited:
Hi Michael/Erik,

I guess the "Fox Sparrow" is some translation error, I assume it is Ringmus = Eurasian Tree Sparrow.

Hey Michael, shouldn't it be Gray Heron, and Loon sounds much nicer than Diver ;)

Peter

Hi Erik

You've got a lot of good birds there - including 2 I'd very much like to see and haven't caught up with yet (I'm too embarrassed to say which ones!)

Jason

Hey Jason don't be embarrased. I've been birding 30 years (since I was 9!!) and I've never seen a Corncrake in the UK.

Assume you've seen a Bluetail!!

Darrell

I saw the Winspit one....too sort of seemed like the only accessable one there would ever be at the time. How things change!

I have never seen Purple Heron. I absolutely refuse to go and see one and they keep avoiding me. More staggeringly I've only seen one Honey Buzzard in the UK.

Have seen a fair few Corncrakes though...mind you they were common as muck when I were a lass.

I know what you mean about the Purple Heron. When I first came to Plymouth I met a chap who had an extremely impressive life list and had found a good few rarities, but had never seen Hoopoe. He explained that he wanted to find his own.

I'll get Corncrake one day - maybe.

Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back