• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

how to attract blue jays and magpies? (1 Viewer)

candidpets

Have never seen a magpie in real life, was wondering how to attract them?

must be rare here near upstate new york? Put out a lot of suite and peanuts along with other goodies

No one came :I(

Doubt you'll see any magpies as far east as NY state - the eastern limit of the Black-Billed normal range is Minnesota/Iowa.

We've got the opposite problem here with (Eurasian) magpies. They're ridiculously common, and if you put out anything remotely edible they're on it in a flash...

No magpies in New York (or Ottawa), here in North America you have to travel west to see them - they get no farther east than Minnesota (except as rare wanderers). Give the food some time though, it may take a few weeks but perhaps you'll start getting some Blue Jays :t:

Magpies live the fat buttery stuff

In my garden the magpies (pica pica) are an everyday sight, they love the fat peanut balls I have for tits and sparrows. Other than this they love the buttered breadcrumbs we leave for blackbird and pigeon.

If I could I would gladly send some of the magpies around here your way. There are so many where I live. Your more likely to see a magpie here than any other bird, due to their numbers, their size and distinctive appearance.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back