• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Binoculars ?? (1 Viewer)

Mostyn

Hi all,
My first Post! I love watching the birds on our garden feeders and of-course while out walking or cycling; and when I'm fly-fishing on the hill streams; it's surprising what you see. But I'm 66, years young and the ole bins are fading, so, I was wondering if you experienced bird watchers could point me in the direction of a nice lightweight (not too expensive) pair of binoculars; easy to use with excellent magnification if possible? Would appreciate your help advise and guidance ..

Thanks
Mostyn

Hi Mostyn,
I'm sure you will get good advice here from all these excellent people. My favourite light bins are the Leupold BX-1 Yosemite 6x30 that I bought from Uttings for £89.00. Bright, clear, very good FOV, long eye relief, only weigh 483g and very easy on the eye. They also do them in 8x30 but seems both are out of stock at the moment. The Kowa YF 6x30 is a clone and has water-repellent, oil repellent Kowa "KR coating". They both get very good reviews.

Les

Hi Mostyn,
I'm sure you will get good advice here from all these excellent people. My favourite light bins are the Leupold BX-1 Yosemite 6x30 that I bought from Uttings for £89.00. Bright, clear, very good FOV, long eye relief, only weigh 483g and very easy on the eye. They also do them in 8x30 but seems both are out of stock at the moment. The Kowa YF 6x30 is a clone and has water-repellent, oil repellent Kowa "KR coating". They both get very good reviews.

Les

Thanks Les,

Was hoping to find something for Less money? but you paint a good picture of those BX-1 bins, worth thinking about.

Mostyn
The only other ones I have experience of are the Barr & Stroud Sierra 8x32, which were a good buy at the time and can be found on the internet for about £75. Don't be tempted by the cheap ruby coated optics, fixed focus or zoom binoculars. These are all advertised on the popular auction site and are usually bad.
You might want to look for second hand which might give you a good pair at a reasonable price.

Thanks Gents, I think the 8x30 8x32 would be suitable? I looked on the for sale section, but found nothing in the UK at a reasonable price. Would you have a link - links to some bins for sale Leupold or Sierra sound quite appealing.

The choice can be overwhelming. Have you got an optics shop near you or an RSPB reserve that sells bins?

I can't help with your price range as I invested about £120 on a pair of Viking Vistron 8x42. For the price I'm really happy with them.

Thanks for the help and advise everyone; I bought a pair of Opticron Oregon WP LE 8x32 for £79.99 from Camera-Land in Cardiff.

Your guidance was very much appreciated.
Regards
Mostyn

Hope you let us know after testing them, test them in all conditions of weather and at dawn and dusk and lets us know your Result.
Barr and Stroud are a excellent low budget bins has i was going to request you look at one, however your choice was a good one. Opticron are a very good and respected brand.

Damian

Hope you let us know after testing them, test them in all conditions of weather and at dawn and dusk and lets us know your Result.
Barr and Stroud are a excellent low budget bins has i was going to request you look at one, however your choice was a good one. Opticron are a very good and respected brand.

Damian

Thanks Damian,

It was the actual size and feel of the Barr & Stroud that didn't suit me! I will test the Oregon and give a full account (bad or good) of my personal thoughts on them. So far I've only used them to watch the birds on the feeders in my garden; and I'm very impressed with the clarity of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back