• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best spot for a morning's birding in Yorkshire? (1 Viewer)

Debbie1905

Hi, in September I'm driving my son to Durham Uni from Essex, and will get the following morning to go birding before driving back. I was thinking of spending it at Bempton Cliffs, as I haven't seen gannets, razorbills, kittiwakes etc.

Is this the best spot for the short time I have? As for logistics, if Bempton is best bet, how long does it take to get from car parking to where to see the birds (I'm thinking that if it's a long trek there and back, I'd be wasting time).

Thanks,
Debbie

September is a bit late in the year for Bempton although there should be stuff around. Why not try, in return drive order, W&Wetland at Washington. RSPB at Saltholme (Nr Middlesbrough) or Fairburn Ings just off A1M at Ferrybridge?
All closer to your direct track home than Bempton.

Thanks very much for that considered response, I'll have a good look at your suggestion. Anything particular you can think of that I might see in those spots that we don't tend to get here in the south east?

Hi, in September I'm driving my son to Durham Uni from Essex, and will get the following morning to go birding before driving back. I was thinking of spending it at Bempton Cliffs, as I haven't seen gannets, razorbills, kittiwakes etc.

Is this the best spot for the short time I have? As for logistics, if Bempton is best bet, how long does it take to get from car parking to where to see the birds (I'm thinking that if it's a long trek there and back, I'd be wasting time).

Thanks,
Debbie

Yep, Razorbills & Kittiwakes will have gone by then. There will still be Gannets though. Some years the last young don't leave until 1st week of November.

It's less than half an hour's walk from car park to Staple Newk, but probably only Gannets & Fulmars will still be around then, so depends how keen you are to see them.

Why not wait until you take him back at Easter, when there will be more species around?

Haha, yes I've come to the same conclusion. Think I'll put my photographer's hat on instead and detour through the Dales, leave the birding till next year. Thanks very much.

You would be best checking what is around Teesside, you can get a tremendous range of birds in that area all with the slightest of detours - more time birding and less time driving. Moorland should give you Red and Black grouse, Saltholme/Greatham Creek a good selection of waders and weather depending Hartlepool Headland could turn up anything.

http://tbc.123guestbook.com/

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back