• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

40x ep on Zeiss Diascope 85mm (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
Does anyone use this 40xw eyepiece on the Zeiss diascope? Just wondering about opinions, give that they don´t make a 30xw for the 85mm anymore.

Hi Sancho,

I use it and I like it. Mainly I use the zoom ocular (naturally), but for seawatching and for neckring reading in the case of geese, I use the fixed 40x. In dim light, poor light conditions and sunset, it has clearly better and lighter view, and the FOV is cleraly greater. In the last case that I have used it, at sunset, with really very bad light conditions (rainy, stormy sunset), I was surprised how much it was better than the zoom ocular in 40x magnification. For me the FOV is everywhere quite clear and the "easy of view" is excellent. Otherwise, if you are not using it in bad light conditions (I'm living in the Benelux where sunlight is scarce), I think that the excellent zoom is enough for all purposes.

Best regards,

Vámi

Hi Sancho,

This may be a bit late, but I've recently purchased the new 40X eyepiece for my old 85mm Diascope and love it! I've shelved the excellent 20-60X zoom eyepiece for now and am using the 40X exclusively.

Check out my latest digiscoping images w/ it!

http://jerryjourdan2.blogspot.com/

Jerry

I also use the 40x on the 85mm and find it great, especially if I want to use a zoom lens on the camera, usually the 14-42 Panasonic zoom.

it's great but eye placing is a tiny little bit uncomfortable than the zoom, as the eyerelief is longer, if you push your eye closer and you get blackbean effect, or at least you notice something different at the outter edge of the view.

it's noticeably brighter and sharper, in most cases this is the mag you need, best balance between brightness and mag.

the fov is a little bigger but need time to notice.

but if you have novice friends to share the scope with, such as kids, better bring the zoom, they might not appreciate the 40x, as it takes time to know the benefit.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back