• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold GR 8x32 - HD versus non-HD (1 Viewer)

tpcollins

What difference would someone see between a non-HD Gold Ring versus an HD Gold Ring. I have the non-HD model and when I compare them to my Zeiss 8x42 Victory and the clarity of my 8x32 Leicas, these dang non-HD Gold Rings can hold their own pretty well. Thanks.

I'm not sure what the difference is tp, but I'm stoked to have finally located a mint 8x32 GR HD to buy. It's going to go with me to Africa in May. I've never seen this model personally, and can't wait to get it in my hands. I know the Allbinos review was very kind towards them.

What difference would someone see between a non-HD Gold Ring versus an HD Gold Ring. I have the non-HD model and when I compare them to my Zeiss 8x42 Victory and the clarity of my 8x32 Leicas, these dang non-HD Gold Rings can hold their own pretty well. Thanks.

The HD model yields a noticeably crisper image than its predecessor (which remains a very competent binocular) , especially for vibrancy of colors.

I'm not sure what the difference is tp, but I'm stoked to have finally located a mint 8x32 GR HD to buy. It's going to go with me to Africa in May. I've never seen this model personally, and can't wait to get it in my hands. I know the Allbinos review was very kind towards them.

Did you keep the Swaro SLC 8x30 you found, or did the Er issue you had with it kill the deal? Since you already have the SLC-HD, I figured you would go with the 8x30 SLC, evidently not. The Gold Ring HD is a heck of a fine glass. I have the GR 8x42 which is tremendous, but have not seen the 32 mm size.

Yeah Steve, I finally conceded on the ER issue I kept having with the SLCneu. I loved the ergos and glass itself, but I didn't want to have to "fight for the right view" every time I picked them up. I wound up selling them. Hopefully that's something I won't regret. I've never seen or looked through a GR HD 8x32. I'm going by the reputation from folks like you, chartwell, allbinos, etc. I love the 10x42 GR HD. AS you well know the 8x32 GR HD's are scarce. When I found one in mint condition I couldn't say no.

Dang, I've been looking to no avail! If you find another shoot me a PM! Bryce...

I have a nearly-new, absolutely mint set of Leupold Golden Ring HD 8x32 bino's that I've been wanting to sell. They've never been in the field, but I did mount the strap. I got them for a hunt that never materialized. If you're interested, email me at [email protected] and I'll take some pics for you. We can work out a deal as my wife is bugging me to sell them.

Well, I wasn't disappointed. Received my 8x32 HD's yesterday, and spend the better part of the day getting used to everything. I'm still very, very impressed with the GR HD lineup, including this one.

Impressed with: eye relief is great, build quality is outstanding, focus wheel is butter smooth, love the eyecups (they stay in place), colors are vivid and jump out and get in your face!, close focus, accessories are great, diopter stays in place when set, very sharp, resolve very well, I like the IP locker, virtally no flare/exceptionally controlled, backed by Leupold's world famous service and warranty.

Wished were better: I could only find one....wish the focuser was slightly slower so I could lock into sharp focus quicker.

I have not much experience with 8x30 class stuff. They include the SLCneu and Viper HD. The GR's are best to my untrained, 52 yr old, unscientific eyes. Great stuff here.

Last edited:
Well, I wasn't disappointed. Received my 8x32 HD's yesterday, and spend the better part of the day getting used to everything. I'm still very, very impressed with the GR HD lineup, including this one.

Impressed with: eye relief is great, build quality is outstanding, focus wheel is butter smooth, love the eyecups (they stay in place), colors are vivid and jump out and get in your face!, close focus, accessories are great, diopter stays in place when set, very sharp, resolve very well, I like the IP locker, virtally no flare/exceptionally controlled, backed by Leupold's world famous service and warranty.

Wished were better: I could only find one....wish the focuser was slightly slower so I could lock into sharp focus quicker.

I have not much experience with 8x30 class stuff. They include the SLCneu and Viper HD. The GR's are best to my untrained, 52 yr old, unscientific eyes. Great stuff here.

I agree the focus takes some getting used to! Only takes just a touch but, I think it has to do more with the 8x32 format more than anything and not just Leupold! I agree with all you posted about them! Bryce...

I have a nearly-new, absolutely mint set of Leupold Golden Ring HD 8x32 bino's that I've been wanting to sell. They've never been in the field, but I did mount the strap. I got them for a hunt that never materialized. If you're interested, email me at [email protected] and I'll take some pics for you. We can work out a deal as my wife is bugging me to sell them.

Looking at the pictures I would agree of your assessment of the binoculars! Payments been sent! :) Bryce...

Good deal Bryce!

Yep, should be like a long lost friend, just need to do some catching up! :) There are things about this binocular that just appeal to me more so than my El's and slc's! Pretty anxious to get them back in my hands! I hope they are a good sample like my second pair?! Bryce...

I received the GR HD! I took a chance used PayPal and not knowing Pelston and this being his first post we exchanged emails. This glass is as new! The care he put into packaging and the fast shipping is really tops in my book a real stand up guy!!! It's a good sample! Two things pop out to me that these are a newer version than what I had. The diopter ring is different and the case is smaller, also the strap is longer on this one! Bryce...

Glad you got a good one Bryce. How is the diopter different?

It's the ring on my last ones there were two sets of raised ribs on the ring. This ring only has one set of ridges!!!? Thus this design actually let's you know where you are on the diopter scale while my last ones I put a pen mark as reference! These are set at zero just like my se's,El's and slc's! Bryce...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back