• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recent sketches (1 Viewer)

More Lil' Egrets and Spotted Redshank sketches. I still fart about with detail, but try to keep it to a minimum. Just a hint of shading to suggest any plumage detail should all be what's really needed.

'tis going to be a very long road!

Thanks for loooking.

Russ

Attachments

• Le 4.jpg
    Le 4.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Le 5.jpg
    Le 5.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Wder 6.jpg
    Wder 6.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Wder 7.jpg
    Wder 7.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Wder 8.jpg
    Wder 8.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 31
These greenshanks are brilliant - movement and active forms all over the place. This is what's meant by catching the jizz.

May be a 'long road' Russ but it looks like it will be a pleasant one. These have a great sense of vitality to them. If they were mine I'd guess that I had fun doing them though I suppose there's always the desire to keep doing better that makes us not enjoy them as much as we should.

What ever road you take Russ regarding sketching style im sure they would be winners:t: I do wish you would play around with paint a little more how great to see a bird in the field produce excellent sketches like you do, then paint one. I wish I had your talent for field work and determination:t:

months later, but your new outlook has freed you up a lot, lots of messy lines that REALLY capture the essence of seeing the bird - now if only I could do the same....

Greetings! Yes, I'm still alive and soldiering on with the sketches. Seeing as that you will all have missed the master at work - ah, ah, ah - I thought it was high-time I got back on the art forum. In a world now ruled by the man with the lens I have to get my art fix somewhere!

I'd like to share some 'interpretations' of some of the wonderful birds I came across recently on a fab trip to northern India. For a start my new avatar's a rather classy male Golden Bush Robin - which I had the pleasure of seeing as our team photographer 'took it's soul!' Alas I've no lovely watercolour to show you of this dandy bird, though!

Big things which perch up are obviously easier - like owls!
Sketches of Tawny fish Owl (I had to sketch his bird in an awkward position on a cramped jeep - not allowed out in case I ended up like David Hunt - same tree, same species of owl, probably!) from Corbett NP. Also Brown Hawk Owl, Spotted Owlet and Indian Scops Owl at Baratphur.

Attachments

• TFO 1 001.jpg
    TFO 1 001.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 24
  • TFO 2 001.jpg
    TFO 2 001.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 29
  • BHO 001.jpg
    BHO 001.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 21
  • SO 001.jpg
    SO 001.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 27
  • ISO 001.jpg
    ISO 001.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 23
More owls (please zoom in - I've yet to master the new scanner set up on my PC) - Asian Barred Owlet and Collared Owlet; the former sat in a tree in the middle of a bustling north Indian village surrounded by children and dogs! Also Rufous Sibia, female Chestnut-bellied Rock Thrush and one Spotted Forktail - one of four three species seen and the commoner one - blue plastic bag just out of focus!

Attachments

• ABO.jpg
    ABO.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 62
  • CO 001.jpg
    CO 001.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 71
  • RS 001.jpg
    RS 001.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 64
  • CBRT 001.jpg
    CBRT 001.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 69
  • SF 001.jpg
    SF 001.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 64
We experienced some very unseasonal heavy rain on a couple of days which meant being confined to digs, so to whittle the time away here's a bic pen sketch of my a view across the valley from our hotel at Sat Tal, and quick sketches of dirt-common Himalayan Bulbuls. Also two pages of the bizarre Long-billed Thrush - this is what it looks like, truly! - and another pen sketch of the mountain range from our digs at Rhaniket - when it was bathed in stunning sunshine! I could get into this landscape mullarkey - Mr. Wainright eat your heart out!

Attachments

• Sattal 001.jpg
    Sattal 001.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Him B 001.jpg
    Him B 001.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 54
  • LBT 1 001.jpg
    LBT 1 001.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 66
  • LBT 2 001.jpg
    LBT 2 001.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Rhan 001.jpg
    Rhan 001.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 64
Finally, two peckers - Brown-fronted, which was playing 'peek-a-boo' by our hotel in Rhanikhet continuously for about a minute, thus offering the oppo for this sketch! See also crap sketch of Wallcreeper above!
Also Scaly-bellied sketched from the car on our way ooop to Nainital.
Collared falconet was one of my must-see birds and this didn't disappoint except I had to sketch it using bins as, once again, I wasn't allowed to end up as Tiger-fodder. Shouldn't complain, though - it was the only one we had!
Himalayan Buzzard at Nainital. This bird had a quite striking head pattern, making it very distinctive - perched up, anyway!
Lastly, Immature Imperial Eagle at Bharatpur. I'd truly love to spend loads of time just watching and sketching BOP's. These were my best efforts from a 20 mins or so session with a very obliging bird. To do it properly how much time would I have to invest in this pursuit - untold hours, naturally!

Many thanks for looking. I'll now look for new inspiration on this forum and be checking out the new work of you guys out there!

Cheers

Russ

Attachments

• Brown-fronted pecker 001.jpg
    Brown-fronted pecker 001.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 74
  • SW 001.jpg
    SW 001.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 69
  • HB 001.jpg
    HB 001.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 72
  • CF 001.jpg
    CF 001.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 77
  • IE 1 001.jpg
    IE 1 001.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 70
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back