• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which starter DSLR (1 Viewer)

citrinella said:
All risks on it's own isn't a standard deal, it's a luxury / premium market. Contents insurance with a decent amount of all risks included is standard, so is competitive. I suggest you go looking for contents insurance.

I pay less than £90 (think it's Norwich Union, but I use a broker), which covers any item up to £1500, and each lens counts separately no matter whether on or off the body. It also covers most travel, so when I travel I buy a standard policy and opt out of baggage, cancellation etc, just to get medical insurance.

HTH, Mike.

Thanks Mike.

I will investigate a few contents Insurance company's, especially Norwich Union. It certainly seems the better alternative.

John

Andy Bright said:
The 30D is a total mystery to me after 20yrs with Nikon, at least you're not grasping for controls that aren't there ;)
But, although not focusing where I want it to... it seems a great camera, right up to and including iso1600.

cheers,
Andy

Hi Andy

What do you mean, not focussing where you want it to. You are worrying me now.

John

Reader said:
Hi Andy

What do you mean, not focussing where you want it to. You are worrying me now.

John
I'm still on about the front focus issue that I have. Don't worry about it, John. Your's will be fine, I'm sure. I have a 1Ds MkII arriving tomorrow, so I won't mention it again ;)

mrcheeky said:
Ps I might now go for the new Nikon on D40 with the Tamron 55 - 200 lense or 70 - 300 with 2x tele convertor.

As I said if I get good at the photograph I will upgrade all my equipment.I feel personally the new D40 could be ideal with the lense I have chosen.
Or not...

The D40 will only work with AF-S (ultrasonic motor) lenses - it will not work with any lens that needs to be driven by an in-camera focus motor, because the D40 doesn't have such a thing.

There are only a handful of after market lenses that have an ultrasonic motor (Sigma HSM lenses); Tamron don't make any, and all of the 70-300mm lenses I'm aware of need to be focussed by the camera focus drive, so - like the Tamron - are incompatible with the D40 if you want autofocus capabilities.

Last edited:
Keith Reeder said:
Or not...

The D40 will only work with AF-S (ultrasonic motor) lenses - it will not work with any lens that needs to be driven by an in-camera focus motor, because the D40 doesn't have such a thing.

There are only a handful of after market lenses that have an ultrasonic motor (Sigma HSM lenses); Tamron don't make any, and all of the 70-300mm lenses I'm aware of need to be focussed by the camera focus drive, so - like the Tamron - are incompatible with the D40 if you want autofocus capabilities.

Hi Keith

Thank you for your advice............ I am going to purchase the 400D.........

Cheers

Peter :clap: ;)

I am going for the Cannon 400d

It's a shame that Nikon have taken this approach - there's a lot to recommend in the D40.

It seems logical to me that if you're putting out a budget DSLR it should be compatible with budget lenses (AF-S/HSM lenses are always more expensive than their "screw drive" counterparts), but Nikon would disagree, apparently.

The cheapest longish ultrasonic lens I can think of is the Sigma 100-300mm f4 HSM.

It's a cracking lens, but at a recommended £900 it hardly makes the ideal partner for a £400 camera if you're trying to get into bird photography while, keeping the initial spend low, when you can get a non ultrasonic Sigma 135-400mm (a very nice little lens and the first decent lens I had for my D70) for £400...

The 400D will be fine, but don't forget the Nikon D50 - or even a Nikon D70s if you can get one at a good price.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back