• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adjusting digital images (1 Viewer)

James

I'm losing it!
Pretty basic question really but can't find the answer elsewhere.
When I download my pictures to a laptop and modify them with Adobe photoshop elements, how do I get the screen to look as close as possible to what the print will look like? To get a nice sharp picture on the screen results in a print a bit too bright and colourful.

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

James

James said:
When I download my pictures to a laptop and modify them with Adobe photoshop elements, how do I get the screen to look as close as possible to what the print will look like? To get a nice sharp picture on the screen results in a print a bit too bright and colourful.

James
James,I am not sure with Elements but with PhotoshopCS2 you can adjust your monitor under COLOUR SETTINGS which is found under the EDIT menu,just thought it might be something similar with Elements.Perhaps a GOOGLE will help you find the way in to rectivy the problem.

James said:

James

Profile your monitor - there are various screen sensors that come with their own software, but all at a cost. Adobe gamma - which you should have if you have photoshop/elements is an ok way to do it if you dont want to buy special kit. If I remember correctly, go to control panel and find it there, or my computer/monitor/properties, then colour profile. Adobe gamma will guide you through the process with screen prompts

These suggestions are excellent and what should be done. However, I think it would be good to point out that this is one of the trickiest things going. Some of the new color management facilities makes it easier, but it has always been a problem.

This really is a can of worms you may be opening. First and foremost I have found that it is essential that you use the correct profile for the paper you are using. It may then be necessary to use the correct inks for the printer as opposed to proprietary ones.
The paper profile is the most important and if you are using Canon, Ilford or Kodak paper these are all freely available on the Interweb. There may be others too but I don`t know about those.

What RAH said!

By pure fluke, my previous monitor matched my printer output near perfectly, but when I bought my new TFT monitor a few months back it took bloody ages to profile the monitor properly and I went through untold angst to get there!

Strangely enough I have only ever used Adobe Gamma on my monitor and, touch wood, the colours on the screen look very very similar to anything I print.
Keith, There is a chap on POTN by the name of Uncle Doug who is well up on this subject. I believe he does it for a living. I mailed him time and time again until the penny finally dropped re: profiling for just about everything !

Many thanks for all these helpful suggestions.
p.s. Andrew I have stuck a picture of you to my monitor to keep me awake whilst working.

Andrew said:
Hi James, try printing off a picture and sticking it on the monitor, works for me everytime! ;)
Sometimes the obvious is not as evident as it should be. Thanks for the tip Andrew.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back