• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HD Camcorder for Schlieren Photography? (1 Viewer)

iansmith6

This is a little off topic but I used to have a pet Conure and do nature photography as a hobby, so I hope that qualifies. :)

I am trying to find a way to do HD recordings of a setup that is very similar to digiscoping. Instead of trying to get an image out of an eyepeice, I am trying to capture the light reflected off a concave mirror with the limitation being the focal point of the light must come before the lens of the camera.

So it's much like the digiscoping problem with the light coming in at a very wide angle, quickly getting too large for the camera to handle due to small apatures and long distances between the lens and sensor. And tiny sensors too, sigh.

Any good recomendations? I read through some threads here and got a good idea of some cameras, but wanted to see if anyone could help with specific models.

One major difference is I do not need to attach the camera to anything, so I don't need any specific adaptor at the end of it all.

Oh, and this tends to be pretty low light too, which is always a problem with digital sensors.

Here is a page I have that kinda explains the setup and problems.
http://www.ian.org/Schlieren/SuperZoomProblem.html

And the main page if your curious about what I am doing.
http://www.ian.org/Schlieren/

If I can get good video working, I'll see if I cant get someone to bring their bird over for a photo shoot. :t:

Attachments

• SpFiveCandles.jpg
    SpFiveCandles.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 99
  • SolderingIron2.jpg
    SolderingIron2.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 94
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back