• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Art ID (1 Viewer)

weather

Pirate name: Poncy Henry Goodfellow
Can anyone tell me what these ducks are? I know the one on the right, but could use some help on the other...

Mike

Attachments

• Mvc-021f.jpg
    Mvc-021f.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Weather
Can anyone tell me what these ducks are? I know the one on the right, but could use some help on the other...

Mike

Mike, the Pintail would be correct, but without a side view of the left's one head, it could be 1 of 3 non hybridised, or any of numerous hybrids.
Regards

Malky.

alcedo.atthis said:
Weather

Mike

Mike, the Pintail would be correct, but without a side view of the left's one head, it could be 1 of 3 non hybridised, or any of numerous hybrids.
Regards

Malky.

That's weird. Why would someone take the time and effort to sculptor a hybrid?...I think you're right though!

Mike

What about a RedCrestedPochard male in non breeding plumage for the left one? Brownish head with white cheeks suggests this as another possibility; as it doesn´t have a pointed tail...
though I ´d readily admit that it also doesn´t really fit very well for that...

As indicated by different people in the above threads: Right looks like male Northern Pintail. Left looks like White-cheeked Pintail. The red and black bill also fits that species, unlike Red-crested Pochards. There also seem to be a dark patch on the wing. Having said that, one of the great things about being an artist is that you have some liberty. You don't have to depict things exactly like they are...

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the help. Especially to Rasmus, for reminding me that even nature artists can have a little liberty with how they see the world. I love abstract art, and anyone who has seen the pics I have posted can tell you. I don't know why I forgot this fundamental idea.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back