• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Question for All Sigma Len Users (1 Viewer)

calvinlo

Hi All,

I need some advise from you all.

I'm currently considering between the Nikkor 80-400 VR and the Sigma 80-400 OS, and will most likely get one within this one to two months. However, while I'm more keen at the moment to get the Sigma OS len, I'm a bit discouraged by a friend's comment that most of his photographer friends are aware that the colour balance of the Sigma lens do not last more than 4 to 5 years, unlike the Nkkor len which can last about 10 years if well maintained.

My question is: How true is this concerning the quality of the Sigma lenses, and if it is true, how bad is it?

Calv :h?:

Why would the "color balance" of a lens change after four, five, or ten years? I've been taking photos for nigh unto forty years and I've never heard of such a thing. Hey, I will go out on a limb and declare that this is sheer nonsense, no offense to Calv's friends.

Any lens that is battered and abused will end up junked more quickly than one that is cared for. So the issue here is initial build quality. I own the Nikon 80-400mm. VR lens and although some grizzled photographers complain that it's "cheaply made," I disagree. I think the build quality is just fine. From what I've read, the Sigma is built solidly (it's heavier, I believe, than the Nikon).

So your principal concern, aside from determining what you can afford, should be performance. From what I have been able to discern, the problem with the Sigma OS lens is that at 400mm. using wider apertures, which is significant for bird photographers, the performance of this lens is so-so. A recent magazine test claimed that the Nikon's performance was similarly not so great (though better than the Sigma), but I own the lens, use it practically every day, and disagree. It performs just fine. If you can put up with the comparatively slow AF, it's a fabulous piece of equipment.

If you are a bird photographer I would recommend that you hold out for the Nikon version of this lens.

I have used Olympus lenses and various others for almost 25 years I have never experienced a colour shift, the only way would be if the coating became damaged in some way but I doubt if this would cause this.

It will be interesting if someone can substantiate the claims of colour shift.

I exclusively use Sigma EX and APO lenses with my Canon 10D and I have no concern on build quality or performance.

I use Sigma lenses exclusively (Sigma camera) and of the ones I have there has never been a problem. I have two friends I regularly go out with who have Canon gear and think it is normal to have to send their lenses for a service! The Signa EX and APO lenses do a good job and the build quality is far better than some would have you believe!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back