• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Artwork of Oskar Moilanen (1 Viewer)

Work is progressing a bit sluggishly, hoping to get time to finish this drawing in the weekend. It's moving onward!

Attachments

• 20121206-_IGP36111.jpg
    20121206-_IGP36111.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 93
I've begun to practice my imagination and freehand drawing. Inspiration to this drawing came from a great shot of a bittern I saw in one of the photography forums about a week ago, the scene stuck in my mind.
It's not an accurate rendition of a bittern.

Attachments

• 20121216-_IGP36188.jpg
    20121216-_IGP36188.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 124
Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

I've begun to draw digitally with a tablet and having a great time, it takes a while to get used to but I'm getting there.
Work in progress below, will see how it turns out. :)

Attachments

• Untitled-22.jpg
    Untitled-22.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 84
Oskar - really like what you're doing - refreshing to see such a lightness to the whole thing...I get so bogged down in detail sometimes.

Little bit of an update.
I saw someone mentioned the program Corel Painter so I decided to give it a try.
All I have to say is wow! It has so much better feel than Photoshop, especially the blending tools in Corel Painter are excellent.

Anyhow, this is the first thing I'm starting to work on. Photoshop could at many times feel like a struggle, this is so straight forward and plain fun.

Attachments

• and.jpg
    and.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 95
Very nice pieces here, I especially like the bittern. It's always so interesting to see them pretend they are waving grass for camo (even if there is no grass around them!).

Most of my work of late has been scrapped, but I finally managed to pull myself together to completely finish a piece.

Attachments

• 24022013-ekorre1.jpg
    24022013-ekorre1.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 90
I have now begun to sketch in the field instead of drawing from photographs. It's very hard but rewarding.
I believe to evolve I'll have to sketch living things and trying to catch their essence, it requires more intense study of the birds and the emotional attachment to the process is enhanced.

This is a Greylag Goose that I drew from a field sketch.

Attachments

• _DSF07101.jpg
    _DSF07101.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 74
I have now begun to sketch in the field instead of drawing from photographs. It's very hard but rewarding.
I believe to evolve I'll have to sketch living things and trying to catch their essence, it requires more intense study of the birds and the emotional attachment to the process is enhanced.

I think you're completely right about the emotional attachment being enhanced. It's hard but rewarding as you say. Good luck and keep at it!

Looking good! The goose is especially nice. I haven't done much field drawing myself, so I can only imagine that it is a challenge. But a rewarding one as well...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back