• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do you ignore Leica ? (1 Viewer)

Well, I can say that those stiff and harder to turn in one direction Swaro focusers took some "hide" off my fingers. ;)

I will go back into hiding before Mark stomps on me with his One Trick Pony. :gn:

Brock

I don't like ponies. As a small child I was thrown by one, the little brute, and have never quite recovered.

Luv you man,
M

I 'upgraded' from my 10x42 BA's last autumn. I have to say the guy who owns my local optics store was totally neutral - he gave me the Leica UV, Zeiss HT and the Swaro SV's to look at, answered my questions and did as I would expect - let me make my own decision.

I had fully intended on going in to buy Leica. I very nearly bought Zeiss but came out with Swaro's. I suspect if Leica had released their HD plus model a few moths earlier I would have bough those as they are a lot more compact than the SV's and personally I think better to hold. At the time though the SV's and the Zeiss were optically better - the improvement of the UV's over my BA's was just not enough to justify spending the cash. The difference between the BA's and the others though was marked. However - I still like and have seriously considered selling my SV's to get the new HD Plus. My experience with my BA's (now about 19 years old) and my scope (now about 15 years old) has been just about perfect.

Let's face it: Leicas are behind the times. The Zeiss victory 8x42 SF has a FOV of 148m@1000m and AFOV of 64°, while the Leica UV HD (Plus) has only 130@1000m and AFOV of 58°!

Okay: I understand and respect that people like the "Leica view", but Leica cannot sell me slightly warmed over old bins (the UV HD Plus) with substandard specs for a 8x42 in the 21st century at almost the price of a brand new Zeiss SF.

IMHO, Leica has been resting too long on its laurels, as least of as far as the UV is concerned...

Let's face it: Leicas are behind the times. The Zeiss victory 8x42 SF has a FOV of 148m@1000m and AFOV of 64°, while the Leica UV HD (Plus) has only 130@1000m and AFOV of 58°!

Okay: I understand and respect that people like the "Leica view", but Leica cannot sell me slightly warmed over old bins (the UV HD Plus) with substandard specs for a 8x42 in the 21st century at almost the price of a brand new Zeiss SF.

IMHO, Leica has been resting too long on its laurels, as least of as far as the UV is concerned...

Highnorth:

I am not sure why you would have a care about the new Leica's.

It seems you have had your own worries recently with your new
Zeiss. Is that all now in the past for you ? |:d|

Jerry

Leica has had non trivial financial problems and been substantially restructured. Leica Sport Optics, to borrow a Zeiss designation, was not a problem, unlike other segments, but it too was squeezed for cash and had few resources to fund new models. Fortunately their products have been good enough to continue to attract buyers despite this.
Considering that Nikon, which has thus far avoided major restructuring, has essentially stepped out of the high end sport optics space, I'd give Leica great credit. They are still in the game and still innovating (Perger prisms the most recent example). I'd expect to see more from them now that their finances have improved somewhat.

I don't ignore Leica. If I was offered a choice from the three binoculars I'd be most interested in being given, SV EL 8.5x42, Zeiss HT 8x42 and Ultravid HD Plus 7x42, I'd take the Leica.

It'd be harder to say who I like more out of George and Jerry though. I can definitely live without a pony.

My how Leica love has boosted as of late with the +. My old BN 12x50 suffers from CA and the dreary view of its era, and my BR 10x50 has a good view but a stiff focus and stinks (literally). I liked my 8x42 BA better than either, but it was one square brick, never did figure out where to put my thumbs. I want to try the new stuff.

I rode our plowhorse (off season), but Daddy got mad when I would run her, which of course I would every chance. She seemed to enjoy it too. "Pony", not. But you can hate me a little bit.

Ron

How much birding do you, or anyone else here, do at 1000m ?? Close up and at 'average' birding distances the differences in field of view are really quite small. It is nice to have a wide field but let's be realistic !

Best wishes,

My birding bin is a Ultravid HD (no plus) 8x42. I like it, the FOV is ok. But it is the one thing that would tempt me to upgrade. I don't care much for sharp edges or more transmission, ergonomics are fine, but more FOV would be nice.

BTW, I think a large FOV is most useful not at 1000 m distance but at 10-25 m. Also at 10 m distance, you see 20 % more of the tree in the SF, which increases the chances to find or follow little birds hopping around there.

They are still in the game and still innovating (Perger prisms the most recent example). I'd expect to see more from them now that their finances have improved somewhat.

Using the innovative Perger prism for a niche-product like the Geovid is hardly proof for economically worthwile innovations wih binoculars.

Did Dr. Perger develop this prism on his own or what has been Leicas part´of this?

How much birding do you, or anyone else here, do at 1000m ?? Close up and at 'average' birding distances the differences in field of view are really quite small. It is nice to have a wide field but let's be realistic !

Best wishes,

Sam

You are right about most situations but I find myself searching big areas and therefore benefit greatly from large FOVs when:
Scanning skies for raptors or hirundines.
Scanning lakes or the sea for re-surfacing ducks, divers, cormorants, seals, whales and otters.

And even at short distances an extra bit of FOV can enable you to get a grip on a fast flitting warbler or dragonfly before it disappears.

Like 'edge sharpness', FOV is just one more thing to consider among many other features, but when all other aspects balance out these factors, which can very in importance from person to person, can swing a purchasing decision.

Lee

Does this mean that Mark is a girl?

You mean he might be a girlie lurking behind a male-sounding name, just like Chosun??

Hmm. On the whole I think this is unlikely, given the growth of his beard, but you never know, some Russian 'lady' athletes are also quite beardy. :-O

Lee

Using the innovative Perger prism for a niche-product like the Geovid is hardly proof for economically worthwile innovations wih binoculars.

Hard to judge the thing with "niche product" and "economically worthwhile innovations" without knowing detailed business figures from the optics makers or sales numbers from the optics stores. I wouldn't be surprised if the Geovid is actually Leica's best seller...

Just to get back on-topic for a moment.

Anyone who ignores Leica is doing themselves a disservice.
Leica offers a view that is as enjoyable as the other two alphas.

Lee

Lee,
I do not think we have to blame Leica, since they make excellent instruments, which have style and good looks (both to look at as to look through). Something that may not have passed this topic is our own behaviour as customers. We often act like spoiled children who want everything now and we want it to be new and exciting and preferably a new model every year.
However a good quality tool can last many years, so we do not have to hunt for new excitements day after day, makes life much easier.
Gijs

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back