• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 7x42 Ultravid HD+ owners thoughts. (2 Viewers)

Get a 10x50. You will see way more detail than an 7x or 8x and they are way more comfortable than a 10x42. The bird is BIGGER at 10x. Here is what a bird looks like at 7x and 10x. Which one do you like? At 500 feet the bird is only 50 feet away at 10x. At 7x that bird is over 71 FEET AWAY! That is a lot of difference when you want to see their feather detail and color details. If you just want to see the bird 7x is ok but if you want to really SEE the bird 10x is where it's at.
Or perhaps add some motion blur to represent higher magnification with a less than steady platform...

...Mike

Attachments

• binocular-magnification_plus_motion_blur.jpg
    binocular-magnification_plus_motion_blur.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 790
Or perhaps add some motion blur to represent higher magnification with a less than steady platform...

...Mike
I really don't think there is a huge difference in how steady you can hold a 7x versus a 10x. Anything above 10x and yes it is noticeable but between 7x and 10x I don't notice that much of a difference. I personally can hold 10x pretty steady if the binocular is a little heavier and balanced well. Here is a good thread on why 8x may not be the IDEAL magnification so many think it is.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=224258

Last edited:
I'd go with lower power binoculars and a spotting scope. 10x can't offer what 7x/8x does, nor can it offer what a spotting scope does.

My .02,

CG

I'd go with lower power binoculars and a spotting scope. 10x can't offer what 7x/8x does, nor can it offer what a spotting scope does.

My .02,

CG
But 10x offers a lot more than 7x and it is a lot easier to carry than a spotting scope. Also, it is a lot quicker to get on the bird than a spotting scope. By the time you get the scope set up the bird can be gone. I personally hate carrying a spotting scope in addition to binoculars. A good 10x gives you that extra detail with out the hassle and weight. A 7x might be alright at close distances in heavy woods but at any distance I will take a 10x anytime.

But 10x offers a lot more than 7x and it is a lot easier to carry than a spotting scope. Also, it is a lot quicker to get on the bird than a spotting scope. By the time you get the scope set up the bird can be gone. I personally hate carrying a spotting scope in addition to binoculars. A good 10x gives you that extra detail with out the hassle and weight. A 7x might be alright at close distances in heavy woods but at any distance I will take a 10x anytime.

A 7x is superior to a 10x in dense forest or and at close distance,
following warblers with my 7x is so much easier than with my 8.5x, 150m vs 133m FOV, and a 10x have even less FOV. In practice, it means that with a larger FOV you can get a longer observation time.

If you really want resolution at longer distances, a scope is the only way to go.

To me a 10x is the worst compromise. Not enough mag for longer distances and too much mag up close.

But it all depends on your usage and preferences.

A 7x is superior to a 10x in dense forest or and at close distance,
following warblers with my 7x is so much easier than with my 8.5x, 150m vs 133m FOV, and a 10x have even less FOV. In practice, it means that with a larger FOV you can get a longer observation time.

If you really want resolution at longer distances, a scope is the only way to go.

To me a 10x is the worst compromise. Not enough mag for longer distances and too much mag up close.

But it all depends on your usage and preferences.
My home is in a dense forest (huge poplars, red oaks, etc.) and the first time I used my 10X50 SV I said, "Now there's the view I've always wanted." I had a 7X42 Ultravid for 10 years that never did what the 10X50 does. I don't miss the 7X a bit. Then again, I know my forest. :frog:

I personally hate carrying a spotting scope in addition to binoculars.

Just out of curiosity Dennis, what scope(s) do you use? I don't ever remember you mentioning a scope and that says a lot considering I remember way back when you started posting here and what binoculars you were using at the time. I don't really remember your posting in the spotting scope forum either.

If I had to hazard a guess based on your current personal preferences I would say that you have the Swaro ATX..probably the 85 though if I know of your desire to cover all bases then I would say the 65/95 module combo.

So, what do you have?

Not to get off track with this post.

Personally I agree with Vespo's comments, particularly the second last sentence...at least from my experience.

I agree with James that field skills are so much more effective than just throwing magnification into the mix.

And using 10x (or higher) in windy conditions gets exponentially more difficult (= waste of time) as the wind gets stronger.

Lee

I've had multiple instances where I've wished for whatever I DIDN'T have with me. More times than not I've wished for 10X when I had 7X/8X with me. Saying this, if someone calls up and says "let's go birding," and I knew little to nothing about where I was going...I'd pick up an 8X. But I have also been known to put for 7X AND 10X around my neck! ;)

Just out of curiosity Dennis, what scope(s) do you use? I don't ever remember you mentioning a scope and that says a lot considering I remember way back when you started posting here and what binoculars you were using at the time. I don't really remember your posting in the spotting scope forum either.

If I had to hazard a guess based on your current personal preferences I would say that you have the Swaro ATX..probably the 85 though if I know of your desire to cover all bases then I would say the 65/95 module combo.

So, what do you have?

Not to get off track with this post.

Personally I agree with Vespo's comments, particularly the second last sentence...at least from my experience.
I don't use a scope. I hate carrying them.

My home is in a dense forest (huge poplars, red oaks, etc.) and the first time I used my 10X50 SV I said, "Now there's the view I've always wanted." I had a 7X42 Ultravid for 10 years that never did what the 10X50 does. I don't miss the 7X a bit. Then again, I know my forest. :frog:
I hate 7x. They are to WEAK! I want some magnification! Out here in the west we have a lot of big open country. Maybe back east in dense woods 7x would be alright on close in birds. You look across a mountain valley in the Rocky Mountains and you can't see anything with a 7x. If you are searching for birds in the Hayden Valley in Yellowstone,Wyoming 7x is useless. I think people that like 7x are birding in dense woods at short distances.

Last edited:
I hate 7x. They are to WEAK! I want some magnification! Out here in the west we have a lot of big open country. Maybe back east in dense woods 7x would be alright on close in birds. You look across a mountain valley in the Rocky Mountains and you can't see anything with a 7x. If you are searching for birds in the Hayden Valley in Yellowstone,Wyoming 7x is useless. I think people that like 7x are birding in dense woods at short distances.

This is just silly - your go-to bin was an 8 for most of the years you have posted here, with no complaints. Most of this is just you backing your recent purchase of a ten power bin and your constant craving for vindication. [not only the best bin., but the best mag. as well...LOL]

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back