• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Best Piece of equipment EVER for the digiscoper and digi-videoer??? (1 Viewer)

Ghostly Vision

Hi all,

Have recently become aware of the Sony HDR-HC1 Camcorder, which appears to be the best possible piece of equipment for those wishing to capture birds using their scope.

Firstly, it is High Definition, and the video picture quality is superb, if not stunning. With a 10x optical zoom it may be a fraction underpowered, but should give magnificent results with the scope rather than hand-held.

It also has 16:9 widescreen for playback on all modern TV's.

Crucially, it has a 3megapixel stills facility - a resolution I was using on my stills camera up until only 12 months ago.

Although a bit of a big beast, it does have a threaded lens and full internal focussing.

The price - £1500 list, but available cheaper than that.

Anyone know anyone who has one or tried it? Any comments from the experts?

The added bonus, of course, is that if I get one (yeah right), I will just have to get that 50" HD plasma TV now!!!!

Cheers

Sean

Last edited:
Ghostly Vision said:
The price - £1500 list, but available cheaper than that.

Anyone know anyone who has one or tried it? Any comments from the experts?

The added binus, of course, is that if I get one (yeah right), I will just have to get that 50" HD plasma TV now!!!!

Best ask your boss for a pay rise... ;)

Hi Sean,

I recently purchased a Sony HDR-HC3 Handycam whilst in Hong Kong, (c/w a 2X teleconvertor) It's a great piece of kit but I'm having some fun trying to digiscope with my wife's Leica APO 177 scope. I've managed to construct an aluminum bracket and can almost (but not quite) get rid of the vignetting. I'm very impressed with the results and using Adobe Premiere Elements you can crop-out the vignetting from the footage. My biggest problem is getting the scope and camera in exact alignment....if I can get close to this I think I might get some magic clips.

I'm a bit under-impressed with still-image using the memory-stick though, although some 'stills' that I've captured from the video have been exceptional and nearly as good as some pics that I've digiscoped.

Tom

I bought a Sony HDR SR5E, full HD, 40gig Hard drive, from Ebay, Brand new for £512 including £100 spare battery,

Staggering image quality, 37mm thread on camera.

I am looking to use it for video scoping......................

Den

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back