• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird art, an investment or not ? (1 Viewer)

Birdspotter

Hi All,
Today I visited the new Scottish Ornithologists headquarters at Aberlady where they had an art gallery.
Several of them were to my taste and priced in my range varying between £150- £500 pounds, although I didnt buy any of them, what if any future investment would these pictures have ?
Not that that would be the reason for buying them in the first place.

Birdspotter said:
Hi All,
Today I visited the new Scottish Ornithologists headquarters at Aberlady where they had an art gallery.
Several of them were to my taste and priced in my range varying between £150- £500 pounds, although I didnt buy any of them, what if any future investment would these pictures have ?

If I could answer that question I most certainly wouldn't tell you, I'd be out there buying the good ones. I think it will depend on whether the artist is or will be sought after.

Hi Birdspotter

IMHO - the value of 'art' is often very subjective and might be just how much you want to pay for something - but also it can be dependant it seems on a number of factors, including the originality of the piece of work, the popularity/renown of the artist, or even just the subject matter. As far as reproduction prints are concerned, I would want to know whether they were limited editions (obviously the more available, the less financial worth), I would also want to look at the quality of prints, and also the craftsmanship of the original work and how old it is.

This print attached, was given to me as a present... to me it has great value but also is 'collectable' in that it is a limited edition. In addition, it has ornithological value from the point of view of the subject matter (black and white sacred Ibis) - and also from the point of view that it is a Victorian natural history illustration (from a period renowned for natural history 'art') - the original manuscript now safely in a museum. I have no idea how much it cost, but to me that is irrelevant.

Birdspotter said:
Hi All,

Many of us have originals hanging under picture lights.

You said it all when you stated that "several were to your taste" You would get countless years of pleasure from these and would probably never sell them. So buy, enjoy, and pass them on to loved one's...our loved one's are a great investment.

John.

I must admit to having a vested interest in this subject and can't give an unbiased opinion but I would strongly encourage people to buy original artwork from up and coming artists - we've all got to start somewhere and the buzz of producing work that someone likes enough to cough up their hard earned money for is fantastic and acts as a great spur to produce more accomplished work. Whether or not it will be an investment for the future only time will tell - in the meantime take pleasure in owning something no-one else has!

geedub said:
I must admit to having a vested interest in this subject and can't give an unbiased opinion but I would strongly encourage people to buy original artwork from up and coming artists - we've all got to start somewhere and the buzz of producing work that someone likes enough to cough up their hard earned money for is fantastic and acts as a great spur to produce more accomplished work. Whether or not it will be an investment for the future only time will tell - in the meantime take pleasure in owning something no-one else has!
I couldn't agree more! (But then I have the same vested interest ;))

Woody

This is a difficult one - as an artist I would say that art should be bought for pleasure and buying for investment is not the reason to buy pictures. I know it's a bit of a romantic ideal but if you like it and get pleasure from it who cares about it's value.

Thanks all for your comments.
The overall vibes I am getting from you all is buy it and enjoy, and if it makes a small investment great but if it doesnt it doesnt matter anyway.

Pretty much my thoughts also, however before I begin to plunder the bird art world of its masterpieces I will need somewhere to hang it all first !

Another reason why the visit to the bank manager for a morgage is long overdue. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back