• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question from a complete newbie on cheap DSLRs (1 Viewer)

swamp_rattler

Hello all,
I have a Nikon Coolpix 4500 that I use to digiscope, but since I more often use my camera for regular photography (and I'm not very good at digiscoping) I'm considering moving to a new digital camera. I was initially looking at the Panasonic Lumix FZ7 (6 MP, 12x optical) which I thought would give me nice reach for bird photography. And if I could find a nice 2x doubler, I could get even more reach, right?

Anyhoo, now I'm starting to consider perhaps getting a cheap DSLR...a used camera off ebay or craigslist for example. I've seen Olympus E-300 DSLRs go for the lower 300's USD. But would I be able to find a lens that would get me good magnification? How much magnification would a 300 mm lens get me? A 500mm? A 600mm? What about teleconverters? I've seen lots of 500mm lenses that would fit the Olympus E-300 on ebay for $150...but are those lenses any good?

I'm thinking the simple FZ7 may be more up my alley, but I'm keeping myself open to DSLRs if the price is affordable.
Thanks!

swamp_rattler said:
Hello all,
I have a Nikon Coolpix 4500 that I use to digiscope, but since I more often use my camera for regular photography (and I'm not very good at digiscoping) I'm considering moving to a new digital camera. I was initially looking at the Panasonic Lumix FZ7 (6 MP, 12x optical) which I thought would give me nice reach for bird photography. And if I could find a nice 2x doubler, I could get even more reach, right?

Anyhoo, now I'm starting to consider perhaps getting a cheap DSLR...a used camera off ebay or craigslist for example. I've seen Olympus E-300 DSLRs go for the lower 300's USD. But would I be able to find a lens that would get me good magnification? How much magnification would a 300 mm lens get me? A 500mm? A 600mm? What about teleconverters? I've seen lots of 500mm lenses that would fit the Olympus E-300 on ebay for $150...but are those lenses any good?

I'm thinking the simple FZ7 may be more up my alley, but I'm keeping myself open to DSLRs if the price is affordable.
Thanks!

Swamp Rattler

I have had an FZ-7 for about 6 mths and am pleased with it. I am not a regular, good or particularly keen photographer but it suits my purposes. You can see some photos I have taken with it in the gallery without a tc.

Nick

Om E-300

swamp_rattler said:
Hello all,

Thanks!

I use all sorts of vintage tele lenses with my OM E1 (similar to OM E-300. The lens mount will accept a lens adapter to fit nearly any old lens you can find. The lens adapter will cost between $20 and $50 depending on which lens it adapts to. I started out with adapters for my old OM lenses and Pentax screw mount lenses.

The image of the OM digital SLR causes vintage lenses to behave as if they were doubled in focal length. So, a 500mm lens becomes a 1000mm lens on the OM E1.

I have a 1000mm Pentax Mirror which handholds (in brilliant sunshine!) rather well; behaving as if it were a 2000mm lens.

I really like my OM 300mm lens on a gunstock. Perhaps my favorites are my 150mm Pentax and my 180mm OM.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back