• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 50-500mm lens (1 Viewer)

mali

England
Hello,
Does anyone on here use a Sigma 50-500mm lense? I am seriously thinking about buying one, and would like to know if anyone has any plusses or minusses about it? Any info anyone can provide will be gratefully received. Thanks, Mali.

Hi Mali,

I don't have the lens but it's one that caught my eye and was on my short list. Other than the Sigma 500mm prime from the photos I've seen I think it's about the top lens from Sigma, though the 170-500mm is pretty good to.

I'd love to own a 500mm lens and the primes are a bit beyond my budget. The 50-500mm is still a contender, the only thing I don't like about it is the bulk and weight - it's a hefty lens to lug around and try to hand hold - though most 500mm are pretty hefty.

Here's a link to a few photos in the Gallery taken with it - Sigma 50-500mm photos - I often use a search like this when looking at equipment to get an idea of what it can do from a good number of different users.

IanF said:
Hi Mali,

I don't have the lens but it's one that caught my eye and was on my short list. Other than the Sigma 500mm prime from the photos I've seen I think it's about the top lens from Sigma, though the 170-500mm is pretty good to.

I'd love to own a 500mm lens and the primes are a bit beyond my budget. The 50-500mm is still a contender, the only thing I don't like about it is the bulk and weight - it's a hefty lens to lug around and try to hand hold - though most 500mm are pretty hefty.

Here's a link to a few photos in the Gallery taken with it - Sigma 50-500mm photos - I often use a search like this when looking at equipment to get an idea of what it can do from a good number of different users.
Thanks for the SWIFT reply Ian. I really need another lense, and I'm not too sure of which way to go. My budget will stretch to a Sigma 50-500mm, but I dont know if there is anything out there within the same price range. Thanks again Ian, and thanks for the link.

mali said:
Thanks for the SWIFT reply Ian. I really need another lense, and I'm not too sure of which way to go. My budget will stretch to a Sigma 50-500mm, but I dont know if there is anything out there within the same price range. Thanks again Ian, and thanks for the link.

Only other similar lens is the Tamron 200-500 Di. A great lens for the price, and easier to hand hold - it is quite a bit lighter. Quality wise, i doubt there's much between them, although the two reviews i've read which directly compared them suggested the Tamron had the edge in sharpness at the 500 end.

mali said:
Hello,
Does anyone on here use a Sigma 50-500mm lense? I am seriously thinking about buying one, and would like to know if anyone has any plusses or minusses about it? Any info anyone can provide will be gratefully received. Thanks, Mali.

Hi Mali,
I use the Bigma for most of my pictures just now. It is a very versatile lens, with the large focal range, and I, personally, do not find it too big. I am aware that people say it is a big lens, but I doubt if there will be any small zoom lenses with the focal range of 450mm. I have found it to give good results for the money. Eventually,I would like to get a Canon 500mm F4, but I think we all would. Even when I do get one, I will still keep the Bigma.
A friend of mine had the Sigma 170-500 but after trying the 50-500, sold the 170-500 and bought the Bigma.
It can be handheld with a bit of practise, but a tripod/monopod is preferred, especially if you are shooting at the 500mm end. One drwback is that it could do with a zoom lock that works throughout the range and not just at 50mm. If you have the lens in a near vertical angle the zoom will move.
If you can, try one out before you buy. I doubt if you will be dissapointed. If you are in Argyll at any time, you are welcome to try my one.

I agree with John M's comments ... used my Bigma for several years until I acquired its big brother, the 300-800. Still use it occasionally. It's an exceptional lens.

cheers,
jim

I had the same problem a couple of years ago .
After making a lot of inquiries - i ended up with the Tamron 200-500 .
The Sigma 50-500 is a VERY POPULAR lens with proven results, and is regarded as the BEST zoom lens at 500 m"m. The Tamron 200-500 is a very UNPOPULAR lens , but it is as good as the Bigma ( if not better in my opinion ) , and even a bit cheaper , and LIGHTER in weight - a very important issue when hand holding it .
Here are a few examples:
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/104626/sort/1/cat/500/page/3
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/116826/sort/1/cat/500/page/1
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/115138/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

Hi Mali,
last spring I faced the same situation, same questions ... I ended up as well with the Tamron (thanks Rezmole and DOC among others) and now I can say I'm very satisfied of it, its quality/price ratio is unbeatable ... other (good) things have already been mentioned in many other threads (which I suggest you to check) and now it's time to evaluate in better light this great piece of glass ... in any case, I'll doubt you'll be disappointed whichevere way you go, Tamron or Bigma (the 170-500 is definitely at a lower level I'm told, although a decent lens in itself)
Last thing, don't base your decision on DOC's pictures, they'll lead you astray, because he could make such beauties also with a Coke bottle put in front of its camera ;)
Cheers,
Max

Most of the images in my gallery (click here) were taken with the Tamron. There are three Bittern pictures, one of which also had Kenco pro 1.4x converter attached as well. Despite this combination not being very good - in some circumstances it works a treat.

I have used the 50-500 for 3 years now and find it to be a fantastic lens for the $.
the biggest factor that gets overlooked a lot between these lense is the AF speed. Any dedicated wildlife photographer will tell you this is one of the most important factors when buying a lens. The Sigma 50-500 has the HSM (High Speed Motor) which is the big thumbs up for this lens. 9 times out of 10 you will get 1-2 shots off with birds before they 'move it' and if the Auto focus decides to hunt then you miss out...The Sigma is the fastest of the 500 range zooms and is the reason I opted for this over the Tamron...The Tamron is still a great lens but the faster AF speed on the Sigma is your best friend when chasing feathered beasties!

Good luck which ever way you decide to go~

Both lenses are on a par when it come to image quality.

Adam C said:
The Tamron is still a great lens but the faster AF speed on the Sigma is your best friend when chasing feathered beasties!

Actually, I find the fastest way to focus is manually! As lack of light is often a problem with both the Tamron and the Sigma, auto-focussing can be a problem. Also, many feathered beasties hide in trees, behind reeds etc., so manual focussing is the only way.

Either of the two (Tamron or Sigma) should serve you well. As has been said, probably nothing much to chose between them as far as quality is concerned. Just boils down to preferences then - the Sigma looks like it costs more, maybe the AF is a bit faster (not sure about this though!), and there are other differences. I went for the Tamron mainly because it is lighter which makes it easier to hand-hold, and easier to lug around all day!

rezMole said:
Actually, I find the fastest way to focus is manually! As lack of light is often a problem with both the Tamron and the Sigma, auto-focussing can be a problem. Also, many feathered beasties hide in trees, behind reeds etc., so manual focussing is the only way.

Focus manually?? Have they actually made some lenses that focus manually!!

I have owned a Sigma 50-500 for several months and find it to be a very versatile lens. Used with a 13mm extension tube it makes an ideal "super-macro" allowing great close-ups without having to disturb the subject, ideal for butterflies and dragonflies. Only downside is camera shake, so make sure you use a fast shutter speed.

rezmole is right that sometimes manuel focus is easier in certain situations. if you have a hide set up or know where a bird is going to land, slow moving birds etc.

But you will miss a lot of shots with active birds and I mean a lot!!!

Sure you can roughly manuel focus and grab the shot but when sorting through images later you will be frustrared at the amount that are just off (not quite sharp)
A quick acurate AF still rules for most bird photography.

If you can master manuel focus great but it isnt easy and can be frustrating with birds on the move..especially birds moving towards and away from you.

Not knocking rezmoles opinion because he has a very good point but it aint easy!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back