• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x40B Dialyt Vs. 10x40B/GA Dialyt P* and T* (1 Viewer)

craig braddick

Hi People!

I have both the above pairs of binocualrs for my job, I announce horse racing and therefore a good pair of binoculars are essential for my job.

I call races under all kinds of lighting conditions, even under floodlights and honestly I can see no difference in quality between the older pair and the newer pair.

They are both easy to use, give clear color definition in spotting the designs on the jockeys silks and are sharp across the field of view.

If anything I use the older pair as they are a little smaller and I like the retro look and leather case and to use a pair of bins for work probably as old as I am is fun!

I know phase coatings are supposed to make all the difference but really I do not see the difference they make. So what am I missing?

Thanks

Craig

Hi Craig,

I just bought a second-hand 25 year old pair of 10x40BT*'s and they are wonderful optically as well as ergonomically. I like the slender, leatherclad housing very much.
They give me very relaxed views, and they seem thack sharp although they're not P* coated. Like you, I'm not feeling I'm missing much. They are my main birding binoculars now, I've become accustomed with them in a month's time. They replace my Canon 10x30 IS's, as they have a better FOV, better DOF and faster focus.
These bins are still very good, I can understand why they were considered to be one of the best roofs in the mid-eighties of the 20th century.

Enjoy them both,

Best regards,

Ronald

Hi People!

I have both the above pairs of binocualrs for my job, I announce horse racing and therefore a good pair of binoculars are essential for my job.

I call races under all kinds of lighting conditions, even under floodlights and honestly I can see no difference in quality between the older pair and the newer pair.

They are both easy to use, give clear color definition in spotting the designs on the jockeys silks and are sharp across the field of view.

If anything I use the older pair as they are a little smaller and I like the retro look and leather case and to use a pair of bins for work probably as old as I am is fun!

I know phase coatings are supposed to make all the difference but really I do not see the difference they make. So what am I missing?

Thanks

Craig

Since Ronald brought up the Canon 10 x30 IS and Craig is a race announcer I thought I would mention that last year before the Belmont Stakes took place I saw a picture of the Race Announcer there in his booth overlooking the track. The picture was in the New York Post. He was holding what appeared to be either a Canon 15 x 50IS or an 18 x 50 IS. On the shelf behind him was another one. It was a back up I presume.

I usually take my Nikon 8 x 30 EII to a sporting event.
Bob

Last edited:
Good call, Bob!

I forgot that Craig is a horse race announcer, and the Canon 15x50 IS is an excellent bin for this kind of work. Craig, if you're ever in a position of looking for a new pair, give the Canons a try. You might be surprised by the amount of detail you can see. Nice FOV, too.

Best regards,

Ronald

I've had the 10x40 BGAT* (not P*) for many years and still think it's wonderful. I like its unique, slim/long two-tube shape plus its soft leather case. I've been told that a ClassiC is 'no good' unless it's a P* version, but having compared mine with one of those I could not see any difference. Perhaps my eyesight is not good enough to detect any improved performance of the P*, but I'm happy! So, what the eye doesn't see, the heart doesn't grieve...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back