• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question regarding Jena 7x50 (1 Viewer)

If the story about a Captain in the Merchant Marine using them for nearly 30 years is true then, whatever they are, they must be pretty good. It would be interesting to find out their origin.

Bob

Hi Bob, Yes, I agree, that is the burning issue for me....curiosity. As I said, whatever they are, they seem to be well made, are in great shape, and I can see far enough to make me happy with them.

Hello AcaCandy,

Let me put on my green makeup and my Vulcan ears. We have a manifest entry for a binocular with a serial number. The entry does not describe the binocular beyond a value of $10, a tad low for a 7x50, in 1947. and a serial number. You have a binocular with faked or altered prism covers, with the same number. You have an American style binocular, which probably should not have had duty imposted. It is not impossible that the engraving was made to match the manifest, some time after 1947, in the States.
There are all sorts of of other scenarios, which would make sense.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Thanks Arthur. I wonder if they are really 7x50??? :eek!: How can one tell?

I assume when you say prism covers, you refer to the plates ontop on both sides, where the Jena marking was engraved?

Thanks Arthur. I wonder if they are really 7x50??? :eek!: How can one tell?

I assume when you say prism covers, you refer to the plates ontop on both sides, where the Jena marking was engraved?

Hello AcaCandy,

Yes, indeed.

Find another 7x50 and compare image sizes. Also the big lenses at the front should measure 50 mm. It is definitely built like a 7x50.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :scribe:

Have I read the manifest correctly, that the vessel was out of Liverpool and docked in NYC on Valentine's Day, 1947? Just wondering what the Liverpool connection is, if any. Whatever, if you're happy with the binocular, that's all that matters I suppose.
And yet, it would be nice to get to the bottom of this mysterious affair...

Have I read the manifest correctly, that the vessel was out of Liverpool and docked in NYC on Valentine's Day, 1947? Just wondering what the Liverpool connection is, if any. Whatever, if you're happy with the binocular, that's all that matters I suppose.
And yet, it would be nice to get to the bottom of this mysterious affair...

Not sure. I wonder if that is the name of the ship? In googling around, using "SS Durango Victory Liverpool" ---- it appears that is or could be the name of the ship the owner of the binoculars arrived on??????

http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/vicshipsD.html

And yes, I'm happy, and yes, it would be nice to end the mystery.

James: Perhaps some scally in pub on the Dock Road convinced this "Yank" that those surplus US bins were Carl Zeiss.

"Yeah, lah, dead good them Germin bins, like" ;)

I didn't see the term "Carl Zeiss" mentioned on the customs declaration. Perhaps the logo was added later?

But as other have said the enclosure is all wrong as is the CZJ logo.

http://www.zeisshistorica.org/companies.html

Kevin, you read my mind, and your accent is perfect; youse Scousers! But dee all talk like da', don't dee? I have a picture of the Dock Road in my lounge, and my wife is a fan of the Toffees, a real 'true blue', while her sister in Wallasey is with the other lot down the road. My daughter lives in Tranmere, Birken'ead, and werks in Liverpool, so she's an adopted Scouse gerl, like. Good onya, Kev...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back