• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

L'Etang des Landes, France, 12th June (1 Viewer)

TheBoo

Coolish June day with a breeze that occasionally made the leaves of the yellow water-lilies appear to wave in the water. The air was thick with the heavy drowsy scent of Elderflower. The cathedral nave of oaks along the footpaths was now so dense in foliage that since the Golden Orioles seem to have decided to stop singing they were never going to get a tick on my checklist today.

I saw at least twenty people in the three or so hours I was there, and ten cars in the car park. This passes as crowded in this part of the world.

Seen walking between the hides:-

Red Kite
Buzzard
Jay
Carrion Crow
Magpie
Wood pigeon
Collared dove
Blackbird
Nightingale (One singing about every 100 metres)
Barn Swallow
House martin
Swift
Green Woodpecker
Blue Tit
Blackcap
Chiffchaff
House Sparrow

Seen at the Affut des trois Bouleaux hide:-

Mute Swan (At least 15, they seem to be taking over)
Gadwall
Pochard
Mallard
Great Crested Grebe
Purple Heron (Spooked from the reeds by a family of coot with their little red headed chicks)
Coot
White Wagtail

Seen at the The Grand Affut hide:-

Cattle Egret
Little Egret
Night Heron
Grey Heron
Moorhen

What I didn't see or hear probably reveals more about my spotting skills, but it was a pleasant way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back