• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coolpix 4500 to be replaced by new model ? (1 Viewer)

Per Smith

Hi Digiscopers

Was out to buy a Coolpix 4500 and called a danish photo store. The person that answered told me that the 4500 is the "old model" and that it will be replaced within a month by a better new model ?

Any comments anyone ?

best regards from Denmark

Per Smith

Hi Per,

On behalf of Admin and the Moderators, welcome to Bird Forum :t:

Hopefully you have come to the right place and that if a new model is in the offing then some one will have heard something. Hopefully it will be along the lines of the CP4500 suited to digiscoping purposes. I had thought that the SQ was the one lunched to replace the 4500, but perhaps not.

I wait with baited breath, though I doubt I'll be upgrading just yet.

I can see nothing about that cp4500 will be replaced. Not in dpreview.com or in Nikons home page or anywere else. But it would be fun if you had right, though I`m rather pleased with my cp4500.
Regards

Hi Per welcome to Bird Forum.
It will have to be a special camera indeed to be an improvement on the 4500 - unless they go for a bigger/better view screen.

Hi

Thanks for your replies - I have ordered a Coolpix 4500 from Pixmania but the order is pending for reasons unknown.
Try to search the net for Coolpix 4500 and a lot of sites show discontinued !

Hope to get one before its over.

best regards

Per

I bet you will kick yourself if indeed a new coolpix is imminent and you have just received the present model, because you can be quite sure the new one will be a better machine in several respects. To reassure you however I have the present coolpix and it is pretty good although one annoying thing is shutter lag. you press the button and it seems an eternity before it actually does the job. Offsetting this is a superb picture quality and, if your pockets are fairly big, pocketabilty. Battery life is quite good too. If you wish to get into digiscoping and can also afford a Nikon telescope then you will find Nikon have a ready made line of adaptors to securely connect the one to the other. So all in all I think it is a good buy.

Hi Geoff, You could be right - but the reason i ordered it now - was and is - Nikon could be discontinuing both the 4500 and also cameras with the internal zoom and Swivel ?

And yes my impression is that the 4500 is the best digiscope camera around for the time being.

I already own a Zeiss 85 scope and look forward to digiscope.

I was actually out today to see an american wigeon - and enjoyed it but was not happy not to have the Coolpix 4500 along with me. Hope Pixmania soon delivers.

best regards from denmark
Per

I believe that Per Smith is right. The rumor I heard was that Nikon was not a fan of that design (although I always though it was a great idea.) I don't expect to see an internal focusing CoolPix any time soon (if ever.)

Eric

ps. I must admit that I don't recall where I heard that, I frequent several photography forums so it could just be rumor.

Received my 4500 - now I'm going to get familiar with it and then look for an adapter (Spidertech I think)

No news from Nikon on Coolpix - but who knows.

Best regards from Denmark
Per

CJW said:
Hi Per welcome to Bird Forum.
It will have to be a special camera indeed to be an improvement on the 4500 - unless they go for a bigger/better view screen.

Just for the record, my son used his Nikon 2100 hand held against EP and got some great shots of rainbow bee-eater on his very first try! I was very jealous. The larger LCD was fantastic.
Lima

I bought my CP4500 last year, only to find out a week later it had been discontinued. I was furious with my camera shop and went back to complain.
This year; I got my first 'scope, found this forum and decided to try digiscoping. It seems I was sold the best camera and that a later model wouldn't have been as good a choice for digiscoping.
I guess I'd better go back to the camera shop and apologise.

As you have the zeiss scope, I would certainly look at the Zeiss adaptor. I have reviewed it on here.

I love mine........

malcolm.rowan said:
I bought my CP4500 last year, only to find out a week later it had been discontinued. I was furious with my camera shop and went back to complain.
This year; I got my first 'scope, found this forum and decided to try digiscoping. It seems I was sold the best camera and that a later model wouldn't have been as good a choice for digiscoping.
I guess I'd better go back to the camera shop and apologise.

Agreed Malcolm.

Just because it has been discontinued does not make it a bad camera. At least that's my story having just paid £325 for one with spare battery (PIXMANIA)

Now the tricky/fun/difficult/impossible bit - I've bought all the goodies from Eagle eye etc. and will soon be trying to get decent images. Of course it isn't the end of the world if I'm unsuccessful as I needed a spare camera and a scope anyway (he bliddy well lied)!

Steve

Yes. I also bought the Eagle-eye bits, new tripod and head, and the credit-card statement is looking a bit dodgy this month. So are my first pitures. I hope this is a learning curve thing and not a notorious "soft-focus" CP4500, because it's too late to change it now.

Pixmania price for NC4500 Now £299

Just a note to say that I have finally taken the plunge and jumped into the digi world. I thought the price at pixmania was pretty good so bought the camera, MCR and Remote CC MC-EU1 for a total of £465.64.

Now all I have to do is learn how to use them.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back