• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ed's thread (2 Viewers)

looking forward to see what you do with this buzzard

hello there

I managed a quick go at the Buzzrd this morning- failed to keep it as simple as the bales despite instructions above, but hopefully it doesn't look to stuck-on

Ken's tactful comment on the whitestripe horizon was well made- an occupational hazard of living on an estuary seems to be that whenever I step out I see a white band across the view like watching a broken TV: I've dragged across some more long shadows from the trees in the lane, so maybe things are better tied in

Attachments

• q9 545 DSC_1847 copy.jpg
    q9 545 DSC_1847 copy.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 63
wonderful! You've cracked it, now put the brushes down and for heaven's sake, keep the black and decker away from it! Sits wonderfully in his environment.

wonderful! You've cracked it, now put the brushes down and for heaven's sake, keep the black and decker away from it! Sits wonderfully in his environment.

Don't even mention that evil Black and Decker!!

Nick's right, you've cracked it. It just sits there perfectly, not too bold and not too hidden.

I wasn't really trying to be tactful or critical about the horizon.;) It was just something I hadn't noticed before. Either way it looks just right now. Sit back and enjoy it!

thanks all- still many learnings to come

meantimes an unexpected anniversary- those who have stuck with this thread for a while bless you may remember being interrupted by a leaping stoat on a barn roof some time ago [post #738..]: well blow me down exactly a year later (31 Oct this year, 1 Nov last year) he/she is back: simply wonderful this morning, gleaming white socks and doing full somersaults with twist then scampering off up the roof and away

of all the beasties out there in far away places, is there anything brillianter than a stoat?

Attachments

• q9 550 stoat scan0001 copy.jpg
    q9 550 stoat scan0001 copy.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 58
  • q9 550 stoat 2 scan0001 copy.jpg
    q9 550 stoat 2 scan0001 copy.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 51
full of stoaty goodness - they're as liquid as mercury - I've never been able to draw mustelids, way too quick for me.

No there's nothing brillianter than a stoat! Well, your drawings of them sure make it seem so, look at the bottom right corner drawing! It's enough to leave anyone breathless.

And the richly coloured landscape complete with a perfectly at home buzz is yet another massive success from the house of Ed.

Mike

Fabulous drawings of a wonderful animal. Getting a bad press up here (not their own fault, of course) cos some tw*t's introduced a number of them for whatever reason they may have - we're now on a trap and relocate mission before they get really established. You can imagine what the effect of the introduction of a landbased carnivore could have on our predominantly ground-nesting birds.
Still lovely and thrilling to see - in the right place - and beautifully rendered.

some tw*t's introduced a number of them for whatever reason they may have - we're now on a trap and relocate mission before they get really established.

that's very bad- I absolutely adore stoats but only where they belong

puts one in mind of Richard Henry- years spent transporting kiwi and all to "safety" on Resolution Island off NZ, then in 1900 he is met by a wet stoat scampering up the beach and that was that

mind you, the report of your trappings does provide a very nifty bit of twisted head reference for a leap painting:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-11634938

Hardly ever see mammals in my neck 'o the woods (all been hunted out - Tally Ho!) so it's hard to comment but you are a wizard with the pencil, Mr. Keeble!

Russ

Hardly ever see mammals in my neck 'o the woods (all been hunted out - Tally Ho!) so it's hard to comment but you are a wizard with the pencil, Mr. Keeble!

Russ

good question you asked on another thread about how far to use photos to get past the things that will go wrong in a drawing- here for interest is stoat transferred to canvas and revised with judicious use of reference and I dunno- its better (the zebu hump on the shoulder in the original drawing is gone, the tail is thicker at the base as it should be, the head twist is saner..) but you somehow its no longer the real drawn in the moment thing, some of the zip is gone

bonus feature attached is some curlew (not of my making)- I came down this morning to boot the dogs out and light was just streaming through the window and throwing these shadows

Attachments

• q9 550 DSC_1892.JPG
    q9 550 DSC_1892.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 42
  • q9 550 DSC_1877 copy.jpg
    q9 550 DSC_1877 copy.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 52
Hi Ed,

Somehow I missed your hay bales and buzzard post - it is wonderfully done! Good stoat sketches as well.

Hi Ed,

Somehow I missed your hay bales and buzzard post - it is wonderfully done! Good stoat sketches as well.

Great to see the Buzz and Bales finally concluded. Suffice to say it's a wonderful painting Ed and works well for me...

Stoats I would imagine are tough to draw, I've only ever seen two! Wonderful drawings..

Pine Grosbeaks irrupting into Stockholm in big numbers so keep yours eyes and ears open;)

here for interest is stoat transferred to canvas and revised with judicious use of reference and I dunno- its better (the zebu hump on the shoulder in the original drawing is gone, the tail is thicker at the base as it should be, the head twist is saner..) but you somehow its no longer the real drawn in the moment thing, some of the zip is gone

bonus feature attached is some curlew (not of my making)- I came down this morning to boot the dogs out and light was just streaming through the window and throwing these shadows

how true, it looks dead now not full of joy like the sketch....and that photo! I've been doing a scratchboard and that photo would make a dynamite piece of sb...but I'm not asking, doing scratch is like a punishment to me, but good discipline!

Ah!, yes, I can see how useful the reference material comes in. I have often wondered how much photos and skins are used when illustrating - I guess quite a lot in many cases. I appreciate that if the 'meat and potatoes' of the species portayed (the jizz) is lacking then all the 'window dressing' (can't think of a better description at the moment!) is pointless. The tricky bits been done - jizz of stoat has already been cptured in your sketch.

Cheers

Russ

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back