• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbria (1 Viewer)

birder

Hi there I am going to be passing through Northumbria in mid June and would like some pointers as to the best places for orchids - eg Northern Marsh, Lindisfarne Helleborine or other special flowers of this county at that time of year.

I appreciate the sensitive nature of the question but would ask that only 'recognised and well known sites' are what I am after.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin
www.wildlifeontheweb.co.uk

Hi Kevin

A new Orchid book has just been released, Orchids of Britain & Ireland - a field & site guide. Harrap, Anne & Simon. A&C Black, London, 2009. 2nd edition. ISBN 978-1-408 - 10571 -9 p/b. Priced £24.99. I've borrowed mine from the library and its fully up to date and the site guide is very good

Thanks ,Birdbot

I have the first edition of this book and, excellent though it is, it does not give detailed sites. I wonder - does the new edition cover things in more detail?

Kevin

Attachments

• DuneH02.jpg
    DuneH02.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 58
  • DuneH03.jpg
    DuneH03.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Hi Stewart

Thanks very much indeed for your help. I hope to use your info when I am in Northumbria in June.

Kevin

Stewart, I think Lindisfarne Helleborine is not only endemic to the UK it is also endemic to Lindisfarne, unless Im behind on developments in the classification of these N.E. populations of 'Dune' type Helleborines? Kevin, Im afriad mid June is a bit too early for this species anyway.

Northern Marsh Orchid on the other hand is is full flower at this time and an excellent site is the dune slacks on Lindisfarne, where thousands grow with some Early Marsh Orchid. Just walk through the dunes and you'll find them. Lindisfarne NNR is a classic wildlife site.

You may also want to try the calcareous dunes slacks by the National Trust Tern colony at Long Nanny, Newton; there are plenty of interesting plants here too, such as Bloody Cranesbill and Purple Milk Vetch, Lesser Meadow Rue and Burnet Rose all seeable around the main track.

Melancholy Thistle and Globe Flower are two classic showy northern species well worth seeking out if you have never seen them before.

Hi Gareth apologies to you and Kevin, I did get a bit confused re Lindisfarne I was given the following info "they are the inland form of the Dune helleborine, nicknamed the 'Tyne' Helleborine. Genetic research into these plants has proved they are not genetically separate enough to constitute a distinct species but also they are not Narrow-lipped helleborine, they just happen to look like them, the habitat and distribution is completely different anyway."

So even the experts are seemingly confused;)

Stewart

Thank you Stuart and GDK. Can't wait till June now - spring is on the way though - had a probable Small Tortoiseshell this afternoon as well as a female Blackcap bathing in my surgery pond, which now has frogs in too!

Kevin

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back