• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (3 Viewers)

This has been a very interesting year so far, birds I usually see I am not, and ones I usually don't, I am. Started in the Spring. I really am beginning to think there is a dynamic change in weather patterns or some such at the bottom of it all.

Longbow, would be intresting to compare year on year results to highlight such changes, would be great info for ornithology organisations.

Ah ha... Jos lovely Crested image.

First sight of the garden this week (for about an hour as the light starts to fade!) has brought:
2 Magpies
Robin
3 Blue Tits
2 Coal tits
2 Great tits
4 Woodpigeon
3 Greenfinch
3 Goldfinch
50+ Starlings
6+ Jackdaw
1 Blackbird
3 B H Gull
And a Male Greater Spotted Woodpecker eating the peanuts and some of the lard that I scrapped onto the tree trunk.... although the magpies are now tucking into that

With the windy conditions I shouldnt be too suprised bythe lack of leaves on the trees but during the last week they have virtually all now fallen or blown off

Last edited:
First of the winter's Blackcaps arrived in the garden this morning-2 males and 1 female. Only one male found the suet feeder, but they were disturbed. It will be interesting to see how many turn up this year.

Hi guys,

Is anyone else experiencing a lack of berries on their pyracantha bush this year? There definitly seems to be less than what I observed in January last year. I only ask as it is a Redwing magnet later on in the winter with flocks numbering in the 30s (a weird sight for a small garden like mine!), and so was interested to know if anymore berries will appear, or if what I see now will be the final crop for the bush... in which case I can't see as good a winter as last (for my garden at least)

And on a different note, there have been quite a few Jays passing through the garden, with this one staying long enough for a photo...

Attachments

• Jay 12.jpg
    Jay 12.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Jay1 12.jpg
    Jay1 12.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 42
My two Rowans full of berries a couple of weeks ago have been stripped clean by the Blackbirds over the last week. I think we are going to have to really keep the feeders full this winter.

we don't seem to have lost a single berry yet !

Not surprising really as the weather has been wet and windy but its been incredably mild here in South Somerset. I've been walking around in a T shirt for the past 2x weeks. Even the nights have been warm except a couple of light frosts last week.

Not really been paying much attention to the garden of late but today I was up early and there were the usual bunch of early morning reprobates. 10+ jackdaws, 2x rooks, 2x Magpies, 3x collared doves and a couple of woodpigeons hogging all the food.

Cyril the squirrel was doing his level best to cut down a large fat ball from the tree. A couple of bluetits and a coaltit were cautiously flitting in and out of the general mayhem, grabbing some seed and running and everything seemed situation normal :t:

Attachments

• berries 13-11-2010 20-24-01 2419x2688.JPG
    berries 13-11-2010 20-24-01 2419x2688.JPG
    334.5 KB · Views: 48
I certainly envy you Brits, all that variety and numbers of species in winter. Things get real quiet around here this time of year, save for the chickadees and their hanger's on. Did today though get a stellar's jay.

And while I'm on the subject, would anyone know why the canada jay, know these parts as a whiskey jack, do not come to feeders? I see them occasionally in the back country but never down here in town, which is kinda weird because their other moniker is camp robber as they are very tame when camping and will come down for handouts when one is out in the bush camping. Very curious.

I haven't posted in a while mostly because I just haven't seen much of the garden in daylight!!

Though this weekend has been very busy. Coal, Great and Blue Tits, Starlings, House Sparrows, Goldfich, Robin, Dunnocks, Blackbirds in the trees and quite a few BH Gulls overhead. There hasn't been any Doves or Woodpigeons in the garden for quite a while now but they are about and just down from the house there are a pair of Pied Wagtails that i've seen quite a bit.

Nothing unusual today.... apart from me seeing some daylight.

Was nice to see a Rook taking bread from the lawn along with 20+ BH Gulls swooping for the same bread.
Coal, Blue & Great Tits the busiest of all however the Blackbirds look like they are returning in good numbers... 5 this morning.

Pam, just seen a pair of collared Doves at the back of the garden, the first visit for a while, however 6 Woodpigeons today.

Will add some garden images later.

I certainly envy you Brits, all that variety and numbers of species in winter. Things get real quiet around here this time of year, save for the chickadees and their hanger's on.

Was mighty envious of the Canadian feeders last winter - while the species number may be lower, you sure make up for it by the sheer tameness of the birds visiting. Chickadees and nuthatches regularly taking food from my hand at feeders everywhere - a rare occurrance this side of the pond.

And while I'm on the subject, would anyone know why the canada jay, know these parts as a whiskey jack, do not come to feeders? I see them occasionally in the back country but never down here in town.

Maybe a habitat thing - because they certainly use the feeders at Algonquin, both near the visitor centre and smaller feeding sites elsewhere.

Attachments

• Red-breasted Nuthatch can 2.jpg
    Red-breasted Nuthatch can 2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 75
  • White-breasted Nuthatch ca 1.jpg
    White-breasted Nuthatch ca 1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Back from our early autumn trip to South Africa (bird highlight was a pair of Cardinal Woodpeckers nesting in an old sisal stem a few feet from the stoep of a cottage in the Swartberg, but it wasn't really a birding trip) and enjoying the beginning of the winter season at our feeder station here in darkest Gloucestershire. Five tit species today: GT, BT, CT, LTT, and our precious Marsh Tits are back too. Female GSW fequently, haven't seen a male for a while. Much more frequent CT sightings than last year, also lots more Greenfinches.

Interesting behaviour pattern during the late summer. The standard seed feeder had worked well throughout the winter and spring using the usual mixed seed, but around July the GTs started throwing away everything except the black sunflower seeds in the mixture, and since we have more GTs than you could shake a stick at, the result was almost instant emptying of the feeder with a great pile of uneaten seed underneath it, far too much even for our numerous pheasants and WPs to consume. Changing from mixed seed to black sunflower seed solved the problem (at a price!). Has anyone else observed this behaviour? Currently using sunflower hearts, and these for the first time have attracted a few Goldfinches away from the niger seed.

Last edited:
Todays garden images

Wonderful images today from jos..... :t::t:

RS-RS great news with the Marsh tit, precious indeed.

as promised images below

Attachments

• garden 5.jpg
    garden 5.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 63
  • garden 2.jpg
    garden 2.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 51
  • garden 8.jpg
    garden 8.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 49
  • garden 1.jpg
    garden 1.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 70
  • garden 3.jpg
    garden 3.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 45
My garden looks more like a building site than a relaxing feeding station at present (house renovations) - does not affect the birds, but should I take a sleep walk my door now empties straight into a two-metre hole!

My main feeding station also under assault - a picture from each side of the cabin today! Good day on the feeders here today though, many woodpeckers present.

Attachments

• Beaver damage lab.jpg
    Beaver damage lab.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Bk Wd Damage lab.jpg
    Bk Wd Damage lab.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Boar damage lab.jpg
    Boar damage lab.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 49
Five tit species today: GT, BT, CT, LTT, and our precious Marsh Tits are back too.

Lucky you :t: We really struggle to see Marsh Tit in my area.

Nice pics Dave

Agreed. Good shots as always :t:

My garden looks more like a building site than a relaxing feeding station at present (house renovations) - does not affect the birds, but should I take a sleep walk my door now empties straight into a two-metre hole!

My main feeding station also under assault - a picture from each side of the cabin today! Good day on the feeders here today though, many woodpeckers present.

That tree looks as if the woodpeckers have been using your tree for machine gun target practise!

CB

forgive the poor quality images snatched on one of my walks last week but I thought you might be interested in seeing the extraordinary perching position of one of my local Buzzards. if i hadn't seen it for myself I wouldn't have believed it possible .

He has been quartering a triangular field next door every day for several months now . He generally uses a series of lamp standards and telegraph poles to perch on for 15 minutes or so then crosses the field to a new position.

Attachments

• buzzard on stick 1.jpg
    buzzard on stick 1.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 48
  • buzzard on stick 2.jpg
    buzzard on stick 2.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 55

Users who are viewing this thread

Back