• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

IS 60 WP or IS 70 WP? (1 Viewer)

rbg

Hi,

I am thinking of getting a budget scope for my young son and I narrowed down my choice to IS 60 WP or IS 70 WP. I have decided not to compromise with the eyepiece, so I am going for the HDF zoom. What I am still wondering is whether IS 70 would be much better than IS 60. What I really like for IS 60 is its portability, light weight and modest size. However, IS 70 will give probably a brighter image, but would it be much brighter? I would appreciate very much any advice from experience!

Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome to BirdForum from all the staff.

When the IS70 was first launched I spent a fair bit of time testing it against the IS60 (with both the IS and HDF zooms). I found that although the IS70 did deliver a slightly brighter image the IS60 gave me a sharper more vibrant image. The IS60 seems to handle higher magnifications better too. I know this makes no sense as a larger OG scope should be able to resolve more detail but to my eye the IS60 has a distinct edge. Personally I'd go for the IS60 over the IS70 every time.

Thanks for the welcome. I am glad to be part of the BirdForum community.

Thanks for this useful info on the comparison you made between IS 70 and IS 60. I guess you have compared the older non-waterproof versions, but I suspect that the WP version is not different in its optical performance. Aparat from adding WP they have moved the focusing wheel from the side to the top, but the Opticron's web site does not say that they have done any improvement on the actual optics. Or my assumptions are wrong?

Thanks for the welcome. I am glad to be part of the BirdForum community.

Thanks for this useful info on the comparison you made between IS 70 and IS 60. I guess you have compared the older non-waterproof versions, but I suspect that the WP version is not different in its optical performance. Aparat from adding WP they have moved the focusing wheel from the side to the top, but the Opticron's web site does not say that they have done any improvement on the actual optics. Or my assumptions are wrong?

Indeed my comparisons of the two models were made with the older, non waterproof models. However having compared the original and the waterproof IS60 I didn't notice any obvious differences. The IS60 with the HDF zoom is a great set up, very hard to beat for the money.

Thanks a lot again. This advice has been very helpful indeed. I think I have decided to go for IS 60. I will post some comments when I have tried it.

I bought the IS 60 with the zoom at the weekend and took it down to Barnes WWT - I am very pleased with it.

I also bought the opticron 8 x 42 Verona oasis Binos and have to say they are superb!

I think you will be delighted with the IS 60.
Cheers,
Chris

Is 50 is even smaller, anyone knows about its optics? Thinking of a 20x HDF eyepiece.

It's of a similar quality to the IS60 though obviously the lower light gathering does show in dull conditions. In my opinion the IS60 is the best of the range and as it's only slightly bigger and slightly more expensive than the IS50 I think it's a much better buy.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back