• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MM2 ED with HDF (1 Viewer)

Jaxman

Hi Everyone, I checked out the MM2 ED with HDF zoom lens at the Bird fair and was amazed by the quality of image. I have looked at the Nikon 50ED before and also been impressed, however at the birdfair Nikon had sent Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum to "sell" their kit - they were hopeless!!! so I didn't get a chance to compare.

I know the Nikon sells itself on this forum, but what about the MM2 HDF combo.?

I already have the HDF zoom on my imagic 65.

thanks for your advice....

Jax

putting the HDF zoom on the MM2 does give a very nice image, but if you want an even better option from Opticron look at the IS scopes. The IS60 is not much larger or heavier than the MM2 but gives a much better image. Or if you want to go really small the IS50, it's not quite as good as the IS60 but is still better than the MM2 IMO.

thanks for the information, do you know if the "ED" bit of the MM2 makes a difference? I thought the image was v good compared to the regular MM2, or was that the lesser eyepiece?

thanks for the information, do you know if the "ED" bit of the MM2 makes a difference? I thought the image was v good compared to the regular MM2, or was that the lesser eyepiece?

I was refering to the standard MM2 (should have read your post more carefully)... I have tried the MM2 ED on two occassions and have not been very impressed with it. The second time I compared the ED and the standard side by side with identical eyepeices and struggled to see any significant differences. In my testing the IS scopes coupled with HDF eyepeices offer the best entry price, small size scope available.

I'd say that a standard MM2 with an HDF eyepeice will outperform an MM2 ED with a standard eyepeice. But that said if I was buying one I'd discount the both MM2's and go for an IS scope (the 60 is my favourite, to my eyes it's better optically that both the 50 and 70). I think Opticron would do well to bring out an IS ED range, that would have the potential to compete with the Nikon ED50.

ED glass should always outperform standard glass in respect of sharpness / colour saturation and hopefully colour aberration......so there should be a noticable difference when compared side by side against a non ed mm2. Financially it makes sense to go for an Opticron body as you've already got the lenses.

postcardcv are the IS scopes old models as I have not noticed them as current stock on retailers web sites? Regarding the HDF eyepiece, I tried the Mighty Miget with an HDF zoom alongside the Nikon ED50 with it's zoom. From my limited experience I thought the Nikon gave a slightly better image but the HDF was far more comfortable to use given that I wear glasses and my eyesight is not brilliant.

The IS scopes are in the current range from Opticron, they recently released a new, waterproof version of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back