• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buzzard v Crow (1 Viewer)

mijmoth1

I watched a buzzard take off from its local perch (football goal posts) to day (february 15th). As it start to circle and gain height, it was tracked and then repeatedly buzzed by a crow. The buzzard did not seem to react but moved off after a few minutes and the crow decended back to the tree tops from whence it had came.

Why would the crow carry out this course of action against a larger bird.

It's a common way of reacting to a potential threat or competitor - harrass them long enough and they'll go away. Crows do it all the time. Buzzards and other raptors also do the same with larger raptors, for example I've seen a Kestrel mobbing a Peregrine once, and two Yellow-legged Gulls drew my attention to what I first thought was a juvenile YLGull - turned out to be an Osprey. Some birds of prey, for example eagles, will turn in mid-air and slash at the attacker, which sometimes results in a case of "suicide by cop".
For a birder, the commotion this mobbing creates is a good way to find predatory birds - especially when you hear birds calling which are normally rather silent, as in the case of the aforementioned gulls (or the Peregrine, which sounded genuinely annoyed).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back