• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 400D (1 Viewer)

postcardcv said:
I've had no problems with it, I agree that it does slightly underexpose, but it's not an issue for me. Shooting in P or fully auto jpegs straight out of the camera have been great... Attached is a shot straight out of the camera (just re-sized for BF), sorry it's of one of my kids, but I use RAW for all my bird shots.

Thanks Poty

I had heard somewhere that shooting in jpeg with the 350d and 400d gave soft images after a certain focal length, you have convinced me that there is still a decent amount of detail there.

Paul Jarvis said:
Thanks Poty

I had heard somewhere that shooting in jpeg with the 350d and 400d gave soft images after a certain focal length, you have convinced me that there is still a decent amount of detail there.
This would be more to do with the lens rather than the Camera. Both these Camera's produce great images with the right Photographer and Lens.

Last edited:
mike nesbitt said:
Hi Rob
Forgive me if this is elementary, what sort of test did you carry out?

Not so worried,Llandudno.
sorry just seen this.
i took a shot with my mk2 and then the same setting's with my 400d on the computer the mk2 looked right and 400d looked dark.
Rob.

Paul Jarvis said:
Thanks Poty

Well I can't comment on the 400Ds performance shooting jpeg at long focal lengths, but until last September I always used jpeg on my 350D and got results that I was happy with, even using a 500mm lens with a 1.4x tc.

As others have said the lens in front will have far more effect on the sharpness of the shots than the camera that you use. There really is nothing like good glass...

Monitor Calibration

Tannin said:
My 400D consistently underexposes by about a half-stop. Yes, my monitors are calibrated, and I'm comparing it to two 20Ds that expose correctly. Not to mention older P&S cameras.

OK, I can (and do) dial in a half stop of EC as routine, but it's pretty poor that they can't get it right straight out of the factory.

Just wondering, what do you use to calibrate your monitors? I take it that they are CRT's because for now at least, most LCD's don't seem to have the colour accuracy of the older technology. I currently use Adobe Gamma to calibrate my screen. Any better ideas?

I'm using a Spider II Pro, Ninox. There are several hardware callibration tools on the market, each seems to have its fans. I selected this one for the simple reason that it was the brand that my favourite camera shop happens to carry, and it sounded as though it would be good enough for what I need. (Which it is - it works fine.)

You are absolutely right about TFT monitors and colour accuracy: most of them are pretty hopeless, and a good CRT will beat them hollow. I'm running a pair of Samsung SyncMaster 214T screens. These are quite expensive (around AU$1200 each) but they are worth every penny. Superb colour (no colour clipping like the cheap gaming screens you see everywhere), very good off-axis performance, and overall picture quality is the best I have ever seen - yes, better even than my much-loved Mitsubishi 22 inch CRT (which was even more expensive when I bought it a couple of years ago).

But what do you look for if you want accurate colour and you don't have $1200 handy? I honestly don't know. It's getting just about imposible to buy a good quality CRT anymore (only cheap ones around these days), and I don't know of a 19 inch TFT with decent colour and quality. If you know of one, please let me know, as I have customers who would love to buy them.

Paul Jarvis said:
Could someone tell me please, does the 400d shoot jpeg images ok?

I have owned 400D since November, yesteday was the first time that I have shot RAW images with it, what I have seen has convinced me that what it offers is well worthwhile images are certainly sharper and somehow "cleaner" than jpegs and it will be staying on RAW.

SW

Slightly off at a tangent, but excuse my ignorance - I'm currently using a film EOS 30, and was toying with the idea of finally going digital, particularly now Canon are doing the cashback offer. 400D seemed like a good entry level... however, I wondered will I still be able to use the Canon lenses I currently mate with the EOS 30 on the new 400D?

Cheers,

ce

Your lenses will work fine, Cornish Exile. You may want to buy a new wide-angle one, however - remember that everything will have a different field of view. Your 50mm lens will "act like" an 80mm, your 200 like a 300 - and your 18mm like a 28.

Thanks, Tannin. I hoped that would be the case. I don't suppose you know if the same goes for Sigma lenses? My (less than satisfactory) macro is a Sigma. Perhaps this will be the incentive to ditch the thing and buy a proper Canon lense instead.

Ta.

Jon

CornishExile said:
Thanks, Tannin. I hoped that would be the case. I don't suppose you know if the same goes for Sigma lenses? My (less than satisfactory) macro is a Sigma. Perhaps this will be the incentive to ditch the thing and buy a proper Canon lense instead.

Ta.

Jon

probably not... a lot of older Sigma lenses are not compatible with digital slrs... if you ring Sigma they will be able to tell from teh serial number if it will work or not.

Thanks guys. Am just about to order my new camera. And a macro... have decided to take a week in S Europe chasing orchids. ;)

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back