• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon Cashback Offer (1 Viewer)

luke

A Welsh birder in Dorset!
hi folks,
just in case some didnt know. Canon are celebrating their 20th anniversary of the EOS DSLR's by offering cashback on the 400D, 30D and 5D. Checkout Warehouse express, its got all the new prices on there.

luke said:
hi folks,
just in case some didnt know. Canon are celebrating their 20th anniversary of the EOS DSLR's by offering cashback on the 400D, 30D and 5D. Checkout Warehouse express, its got all the new prices on there.
Tell me about it - I bought a 30D three weeks ago!

Roy C said:
Tell me about it - I bought a 30D three weeks ago!
Me too, Roy - but I wouldn't worry about it.

It's certainly not unknown for retailers to "coincidentally" increase their prices to coincide with rebate offers, by the value of the rebate.

So you end up buying a camera for more than you would have earlier, but you break even because of the rebate; and the retailer makes an extra profit to the value of the rebate.

Probably illegal, but I've read about it happening.

Keith Reeder said:

I very much doubt there is anything illegal about it - all these cameras are being sold at price well below RRP, even if a retailed added £50 to the price it would still be heavily discounted. The profit margins on dslr's are very small indeed.

its about time the UK got to grips with the pricing, £399.00 plus the £50.00 off is a lot cheaper than imports on eBay yippee.
Just a shame I chose Nikon........

Keith Reeder said:
Me too, Roy - but I wouldn't worry about it.

It's certainly not unknown for retailers to "coincidentally" increase their prices to coincide with rebate offers, by the value of the rebate.

So you end up buying a camera for more than you would have earlier, but you break even because of the rebate; and the retailer makes an extra profit to the value of the rebate.

No I am not worried obout it Keith as I had a good deal anyway (WE gave me 125% of the difference in a price match). You are right about the variable pricing that goes with discounts, I notice when the last set of rebates ended, think it was the end of January, the prices dropped to compensate.

I think im interested in the Canon EOS 400D Digital SLR with 18-55mm lens, but of course i would be looking for a large lens eventually. What kind of lens would fit this camera? Is there the possibility of using a 3rd party lens? I want something pretty LARGE - I know very little about equipment and I'd like to graduate from my Fujiflim s5000. thanks for any help i can get :)

AdamT said:
I think im interested in the Canon EOS 400D Digital SLR with 18-55mm lens, but of course i would be looking for a large lens eventually. What kind of lens would fit this camera? Is there the possibility of using a 3rd party lens? I want something pretty LARGE - I know very little about equipment and I'd like to graduate from my Fujiflim s5000. thanks for any help i can get :)

Hi Adam,

Any Canon lens wil fit the 400D and also any lens from the 3rd party manufacturers, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina etc with a canon mount, so there is a huge choice of lenses. The only thing to watch would be some considerably older secondhand Sigma's which may not be compatible.

Related to the thread: I hate you Canon!!!! I buy a 400d, 17-85is and 100-400 and now you introduce a cashback :storm: :storm: :storm:

AdamT said:
uhm, just one more thing.. I have just noticed the Canon 30D, why is it more expensive?

It's a whole different camera... the obvious advantages over the 400D are the faster frame rate (5fps over 3fps), spot metering, wider ISO range and a shutter that is supposed to last longer. It is also a larger, more solid camera, which appeals to many users.

Both the 30D and the 400D are capable of producing excellent images (the lens in front and the photographer behind make much more difference to image quality than the camera in the middle). If possible try both for yourself and see which suits you. Personally I use a 400D and don't really feel that I'm missing out by not having the 30D.

postcardcv said:
I very much doubt there is anything illegal about it - all these cameras are being sold at price well below RRP, even if a retailed added £50 to the price it would still be heavily discounted. The profit margins on dslr's are very small indeed.
Hi Peter,

I thought it was illegal to increase the price of any item that was already in stock and offered for sale at a particular price, unless the earlier price was an error...

Keith Reeder said:
Hi Peter,

I thought it was illegal to increase the price of any item that was already in stock and offered for sale at a particular price, unless the earlier price was an error...

not at all - a retailer is entitled to alter the price of an item in either direction at any time before a transaction has occuerd. Advertising an item for sale at a given price does not mean that the retailer is obliged to sell it at that price. Though it must be said putting the price of an item up will never make your customers happy!

Keith Reeder said:
Hi Peter,

...........errr....no, don't think so keith. Ask any corner shop that sells cigarettes. Stock high before budget, sell at increased prices although new taxes don't apply.....yet!. We can manouver prices how we like thanks, it's just how we market those price changes that are regulated.

In this case, the retailer should have no reason to increase prices except to make a bit more themselves due to potential increased sales from the Canon marketing. It is Canon who are giving the rebate, not the retailer, allegedly! Either way the retailer gets a perk, thats how we retailers (furniture in my case) stay in business (or not as the case may be);)

Denis.

postcardcv said:
Advertising an item for sale at a given price does not mean that the retailer is obliged to sell it at that price.

Then is it not false advertising? I understand a retailer can change prices whenever he/she so desires, but surely advertising a product at a given price or with given feature, etc, requires the retailer to abide by that?

Scott67 said:
To all who have just bought 400d/30d's, I'm sure you could obtain a new receipt that correctly corresponds with the period of the offer ;)
Now that would be illegal!!;) o:D

Denis.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back