• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Las Alpujarras/La Sierra de Aracena (1 Viewer)

Rene1958

Hi, we are planning our August 2010 family holiday and we are looking at a cottage in above 2 mentioned areas in Andalucia. I know August is not the est time of the year but as a birdphotographer i will take my equipment with me anyway.....you never know

Does anyone know any of these 2 areas, maybe has ideas with regards to accomodation?and ofcourse any info with regards to birds!

Much appreciated!
Rene de Heer
www.naturepics.co.uk

Two lovely areas - I've stayed in both, but some while back and only for a week or so - I know far more about Cadiz province. However, for what it's worth here's my take on the areas. In the Alpujarras we stayed in a small hotel in Bubion (above Lanjaron); superb views, mountains etc., etc. - all the expected BoPs, Black Wheatear and so on). There are numerous house lets in the area. Aracena is very different with low rolling chestnut clad hills. We stayed in Castano del Robledo (in an overpriced & damp house!). Birdwise we had Lesser-spotted Woodpecker (unusual this far south), Golden Eagle and Black Vulture (esp Almonaster la Real - which also has a stunning church/mosque. Above the village is a large hill with panoramic views. I think that the village would make a good base although Fuenteheridos was more lively - it's not far from Portugese sites for Great/Little Bustards.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back