• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Mirrorless cameras (2 Viewers)

here are some photos taken today with a Tamron 180mm f3.5 (which I used specifically for butterflies but a few birds were around so i grabbed the opportunity)....

the autofocus doesn't work with third party lens (correct me if i'm wrong) because this lens and my wide angle Tokina lens can't autofocus.

the 3 photos of black-naped oriole were shot in continuous mode.

Attachments

• blacknapedoriole01.jpg
    blacknapedoriole01.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 234
  • blacknapedoriole02.jpg
    blacknapedoriole02.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 160
  • blacknapedoriole03.jpg
    blacknapedoriole03.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 254
  • spotteddove.jpg
    spotteddove.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 166
the autofocus doesn't work with third party lens (correct me if i'm wrong) because this lens and my wide angle Tokina lens can't autofocus.

the 3 photos of black-naped oriole were shot in continuous mode.

Wengchun, maybe this is why- - -

Hmmmm....This page states
"Autofocusing is possible when AF-S lenses are used. However, focus mode must be set to AF-S (Single AF) and AF-area mode is fixed at Single-point with only the center focus point used"....

Anyone with any BIF comment or experience with this??

Cheers - Chosun :gh:

This would not be very suitable for flight shots but would be good for video and birds on the ground/perches.
Neil.[/QUOTE]

Jeez Nikon sh*ts me.....
Why would you come out with some totally new whizz bang 2.7x crop cam, w/ "whoo-hoo" 'n' "yee-har" r**tin' tootin' hybrid phase detect on-sensor AF and then nobble the bl**dy thing by totally negating that advantage through not having the legacy lens adapter able to use it??!! (roll eyes -disbelief icon)

(was planning on hooking up a siggy 50-500 OS [or some other 500mm goody that sigma may or may not release details of on 10/01/2012] and blazing away at a mighty 10fps on distant falcons and swallows.........now..........if these rumours are correct........money staying firmly in pocket - to keep moths company) 8-P
:C Bah -humbug!!

Here's hoping next year is happier B :) ;)
Chosun :gh:

...."focus mode must be set to AF-S (Single AF) and AF-area mode is fixed at Single-point with only the center focus point used"....

exactly set as single AF and center focus point is used.....but it doesn't matter, i was just testing the lens with the FT1 adapter. my main idea of getting the J1 is for digiscoping. but when lighting is good and bird is near, i will attach it with the nikon 300mm f4.

here are more results from this evening (after work)

Attachments

• falconet.jpg
    falconet.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 134
  • falconet02.jpg
    falconet02.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 148
  • flameback01.jpg
    flameback01.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 175
  • flameback02.jpg
    flameback02.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 179
This morning went up to the highlands and put the J1 + FT1 + 300mm f4 to the test again. The birds are so much closer, so had a good test with the setup.

The Long-tailed Sibia photos are resized from the original size.

Videos are pretty good with the J1.

I will upload more photos and videos from this trip on my blog.

Attachments

• ChestnutTM01J1.jpg
    ChestnutTM01J1.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 292
  • StreakWB01.jpg
    StreakWB01.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 266
  • LongTS01J1.jpg
    LongTS01J1.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 324
Thanks for posting these samples Cheong Weng Chun!

Your links are very helpful.

I think this will be a helpful tool for photographing shy elusive birds....:)

Have a great New Year everyone!

I agree these are wonderful samples and Wow! Cheong Weng Chun, what super birds! I'd love to see some of those after work! Thank you and have a happy 2012!

I have created a FlickR set with photos taken with the V1, FT1 and 3 lenses.
The nikkor 70-200mm F2.8, nikkor 300mm f2.8 and the nikkor 500mm F4.

There are three images there today but I will add more as I take them.
The link is http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_birder/sets/72157628774050455/

Hope this helps,

Hi Rich,
I was particularly impressed with the Heron at 50 metres using only the 70-200mm.
We have exactly the same lens line up, I'm curious as to why you decided on buying the V1. Was it to travel light using it with the 70-200 ?
Must admit I went on a budget holiday on a budget airline last year so only had enough weight to take the 70-200 with my D300s plus 1.4 and 1.7TC's. I got by but missed the reach I am used to. I have been considering buying the 2.0TC but at £450 for the TC and less than £1000 for the VI plus the small lens and the adapter, it makes more sense to plumb for the latter.
On the other hand I have been waiting for the new D400 or D800 to see what the specs on that will be.
The D4 is mightily impressive and so is the price. I feel it would not make sense to spend that amount of money on what is purely an hobby.
cheers Dave

Hi Rich,
I was particularly impressed with the Heron at 50 metres using only the 70-200mm.
We have exactly the same lens line up, I'm curious as to why you decided on buying the V1. Was it to travel light using it with the 70-200 ?
Must admit I went on a budget holiday on a budget airline last year so only had enough weight to take the 70-200 with my D300s plus 1.4 and 1.7TC's. I got by but missed the reach I am used to. I have been considering buying the 2.0TC but at £450 for the TC and less than £1000 for the VI plus the small lens and the adapter, it makes more sense to plumb for the latter.
On the other hand I have been waiting for the new D400 or D800 to see what the specs on that will be.
The D4 is mightily impressive and so is the price. I feel it would not make sense to spend that amount of money on what is purely an hobby.
cheers Dave

Cathay Pacific are starting to get tough with "carry-on" luggage with an allowance of 7 kgs. I normally travel with 17 kgs.
The Nikon V1 and 70-200/2.8 AFS , supported with the Canon SX40HS will be my travel kit in future.
Of course you have the option of other Nikon zooms too. I tested the 18-105 kit zoom yesterday and it looked good.
Neil

Attachments

• test V1 nik 18-105 AFS_DSC2054.jpg
    test V1 nik 18-105 AFS_DSC2054.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 127
Hi Rich,
cheers Dave
Hi Dave,
I had to think about this one because as usually is the case there are several reasons over time that lead to a buying decision.

I wanted a better system for bird photography when travelling abroad than I had. I went to Malaysia this year with an Olympus E520 and F5.6 70-300 lens. This was good upto 30 feet and after that shadow noise spoilt many pictures. It was also slow to focus the sea eagles there. I thought the V1 with a Nikon 70-200 F2.8 +/- a tele convertor would give me better IQ and certainly more light and fit in my cabin luggage easily. I could also use the V1 and the pancake 10mm lens as a walk around travel lens when birds were not around.

I also wanted to give myself more reach on some occasions when birds were just beyond the 500mm F4 VR range and I didn't want to loose a stop of aperture with a tele convertor.

I also fancied the idea of having a lighter walk around kit with similar reach to my D7000 and 500mm F4. I thought that the 300mm F 2.8 and the V1 may give me similar scope.

I have only just got the V1 and am still evaluating it. I am only going to post reasonable images on the Flickr site but am hoping for something stellar too.

I miss my D7000 (with Nikon for repair of broken shutter) but am hopeful that the D800 will be a 36 mpx camera and have AF performance at least as good as the D700. The D4 doesn't have enough reach IMO.

Hope this helps,

Cathay Pacific are starting to get tough with "carry-on" luggage with an allowance of 7 kgs. I normally travel with 17 kgs.
The Nikon V1 and 70-200/2.8 AFS , supported with the Canon SX40HS will be my travel kit in future.
Of course you have the option of other Nikon zooms too. I tested the 18-105 kit zoom yesterday and it looked good.
Neil

I agree the 18-105 works well as a general zoom and fits very nicely with the V1 n the hand.

Took the V1 out to the wetlands today with the Nikon 300/2.8 AFS VR lens and my teleconverters. As usual the light was rubbish so I needed iso 800/1600. Being able to shoot the lens at f2.8 made mincemeat of the poor light though. I added the Nikon 1.4x tele later in the morning. I shot for about 2 hours , for 16 gigs of stills and video and 1 battery.
I tried some flight shots but it was difficult. Ok on bigger birds flying in a straight line , but gulls bobbing and weaving almost impossible. Forget fast flying ducks.
It will be nice to try the 2x tele when the sun finally comes out but this won't be anytime soon.
Neil

Nikon V1 plus Nikon FT1 and Nikon 300/2.8 AFS VR lens and Nikon 1.4x Teleconvert

Hong Kong,
China.
Jan 2012

Attachments

• northern shoveler male V1_DSC2281.jpg
    northern shoveler male V1_DSC2281.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 180
  • northern shoveler fem wings V1_DSC2433.jpg
    northern shoveler fem wings V1_DSC2433.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 274
  • spotted redshank V1_DSC2244.jpg
    spotted redshank V1_DSC2244.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 190
  • grey heron ducks V1_DSC2663.jpg
    grey heron ducks V1_DSC2663.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 197
  • common teal male V1_DSC2210.jpg
    common teal male V1_DSC2210.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 157
Images taken with FT1 adaptor and 70-200, and 400/2.8 showing on DPR and FredM, also WHE have FT1 in stock, for those who have an interest.

I've looked high n low for these and cannaye find nary a scerrick ofa reference (with any ease).....
Could you post the links to these please? Thanks :t:

Chosun :gh:

Light was still gloomy today so I decided to get closer to some birds in my mate's garden.
Being able to shoot at f2.8 made it a bit easier but I still was shooting around iso 800/1600.
The V1 did a reasonable job but at iso 1600 a little noise reduction was needed. Here is a comparison, without and with.
Neil

Nikon V1 and Nikon 300/2.8 AFS VR at iso 1600 and f2.8 at 1/200th second.

Lamma Island,
Hong Kong,
China.
Jan 2012

Attachments

• blue whitstling thrush V1 iso1600_DSC2912.jpg
    blue whitstling thrush V1 iso1600_DSC2912.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 206
  • blue whitstling thrush V1 iso1600 c _DSC2912.jpg
    blue whitstling thrush V1 iso1600 c _DSC2912.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 192
  • japanese white-eyes V1 c _DSC3200.jpg
    japanese white-eyes V1 c _DSC3200.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 216
  • chinese bulbul V1_DSC2979.jpg
    chinese bulbul V1_DSC2979.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 230
  • chinese bulbul V1 c _DSC2979.jpg
    chinese bulbul V1 c _DSC2979.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 190
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back