• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New meopta 12x50 and 15x56 HD (1 Viewer)

jnielsen

Just a heads up.

The most new Cabela's shooting catalog I just received is listing the new Meopta (cabelas version) meostar HD in a new 12x50 and 15x56. Should be some serious competition to the new Zeiss Conquest HD 15x56 and New Swarovski SLC HD 15x56 .

These look interesting as they weigh less than expected.

Here are the listed specs.

12x50 275ft FOV 37 oz $1399.99
15x56 220ft FOV 40.6 oz $1599.99

Just a heads up.

The most new Cabela's shooting catalog I just received is listing the new Meopta (cabelas version) meostar HD in a new 12x50 and 15x56. Should be some serious competition to the new Zeiss Conquest HD 15x56 and New Swarovski SLC HD 15x56 .

These look interesting as they weigh less than expected.

Here are the listed specs.

12x50 275ft FOV 37 oz $1399.99
15x56 220ft FOV 40.6 oz $1599.99

Yes, very interesting. I saw the 12x50 on Cabela's website when I last checked, but didn't see the 15x56 model, which I don't think Meopta ever made before, so this is a new model, and as you mentioned, serious competition for the new 15x56 offerings from Zeiss and Swaro since they all have ED glass and are competing in the second tier market.

From what I've seen in other 15x binoculars, which I used mainly for stargazing, 15x tests the limits of binocular optics. You can get away with some errors at 8x, and maybe even at 10x, just squeak by at 12x, but once you get to 15x, you need to have all your ducks in a row or it's going to get ugly.

The best 15x I used was the Nikon 8-16x40 XL Zoom. 4* FOV at 15x and sharp to the edge, with no aberrations/distortions visible. The ergonomics were excellent with a perfect balance that enabled me to hold 15x steady even for terrestrial use. I usually find it easier to hold 10x and higher power steadier for stargazing since the weight is back on my face whereas when I'm holding the bin out in front of me, I'm more likely to shake. But the XL Zoom was light enough - 32 oz. - to dampen the bad vibes, but not too heavy to hold for extended periods, and I prefer the grip of a porro.

Hope somebody does a "shoot out" with these three new 15x roofs.

Brock

Brock,

Meet you at the Cabelas in Hamburg tonight? We can camp out during the snow storm for the next couple of days and just play with all their optics (including their 15x bins).

;)

I live about an hour away from Cabelas it would be a great place to get stuck in!!!! You guys can play with the binoculars I will play with the shooting gear.

Mike

Frank...are you okay??? ;)

A big snow coming and all you can plan on is BEING STUCK IN ONE PLACE WITH...BROCK???!!!

Certainly better than being stuck in one place with Dennis!:smoke:

Mike,

I wouldn't mind being stuck there during the snowstorm. They would probably have to drag me away from the optics counter when the store closes though. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back