• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P610 (1 Viewer)

A bit late to the party but i have only recently joined the forum,bought the P610 a few months ago as i could no longer manage a DSLR and long lens on my wonders in the wild.
I chose it as the P900 was not available with no word of when,the intention was to replace it with the P900 but i think i may wait to see what the rumored new bridge from Nikon is like.
Any way a few samples.

Attachments

• 19360827199_1a2fa44ddf_o.jpg
    19360827199_1a2fa44ddf_o.jpg
    570.6 KB · Views: 585
  • 20244790132_c3755e2201_o.jpg
    20244790132_c3755e2201_o.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 596
  • 20244790212_6153c2d66b_o.jpg
    20244790212_6153c2d66b_o.jpg
    407.7 KB · Views: 466
  • 20263305906_5c023796b6_o.jpg
    20263305906_5c023796b6_o.jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 519
A bit late to the party but i have only recently joined the forum,bought the P610 a few months ago as i could no longer manage a DSLR and long lens on my wonders in the wild.
I chose it as the P900 was not available with no word of when,the intention was to replace it with the P900 but i think i may wait to see what the rumored new bridge from Nikon is like.
Any way a few samples.

Nice!
Am especially impressed that you managed to get the camera focus right in face of distracting nearby twigs and leaves.

Thanks but its not always the case,you should see how many go in the bin|:d|

Here is a Broad-tailed Hummingbird from yesterday through a few tigs. I had to really zoom in to get the correct focus

Attachments

• Broad-tailed Hummingbird.jpg
    Broad-tailed Hummingbird.jpg
    681.9 KB · Views: 421
  • Broad-tailed Hummingbird-2.jpg
    Broad-tailed Hummingbird-2.jpg
    723.6 KB · Views: 581
I purchased a P610 last week and have been using it primarily for birding on the birdwatching mode, mostly set on manual focus. For the most part I am pleased with the images after reviewing them on the LCD. I find the pressing of OK to go to 800mm automatically relatively fast to be quite useful as once there most of the time it is just a matter of adjusting it a bit either in or out.

For me this is an upgrade from a Panasonic FZ35 and though perhaps a bit narrow and sometimes a little slow in precise focusing, the EVF is much brighter and clearer than the one on the FZ35.

On the birdwatching mode set on infinity and extended to the absolute limit of the optical zoom, the other day I was able to capture for identification purposes reasonably good hand held images of a perched white-tailed kite that was approximately 400 yards away.

[...] I find the pressing of OK to go to 800mm automatically relatively fast to be quite useful [...]
[...]the EVF is much brighter and clearer than the one on the FZ35. [...]
[...]I was able to capture for identification purposes reasonably good hand held images of a perched white-tailed kite that was approximately 400 yards away.

I totally agree with Barry. Birdwatching mode are very useful, and the EVF is very good. I don't have any experience with DSLRs, but I can't imagine that the view finder on a DSLR are that much better. It's indeed very good for identifying on larger distances!

Also, it's not to big so you can have it under your jacket during a rain shower.

The GPS receiver on my camera dosen't work it seems. It worked a few times when i first got it, but not anymore. It's always red, even after several minutes.

I've tried to update the A-GPS file, following these instructions:
http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/131.html

But it fails.

Any suggestions? :)

Attachments

• 2015-09-17 18.13.25.jpg
    2015-09-17 18.13.25.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 2015-09-17 18.14.07.jpg
    2015-09-17 18.14.07.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 2015-09-17 18.14.41.jpg
    2015-09-17 18.14.41.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 2015-09-17 18.14.27.jpg
    2015-09-17 18.14.27.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
The GPS receiver on my camera dosen't work it seems. It worked a few times when i first got it, but not anymore. It's always red, even after several minutes.

I've tried to update the A-GPS file, following these instructions:
http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/131.html

But it fails.

Any suggestions? :)

Are you trying this outside or indoors? GPS signals are week and can be blocked being inside a building.

HantaYo: It's outside.

Try to move around outside and see if it activates the gps. Next to buildings are a poor location for gps signals as well as dense canopy cover. Try to find a clear open sky area.

Also, check to make sure you are using the latest firm ware update. Current firm ware version is 1.1

http://nikonasia-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4717/~/current-firmware-downloads-available-for-nikon-products#coolpix_p

Also, try a different battery or remove the battery you have and putting it back in. And removing the memory card as well. Bad memory card can do weird things.

Warning, if you turn on GPS logging it will continue to log even if the camera is off. I was trying to figure out why my batteries were draining empty while the camera was "off". Sure enough it was the GPS logs.

Here is a map of my Geo-tagged pictures displayed in Adobe Lightroom photography software. Pretty cool.

Attachments

• GPS Locations.jpg
    GPS Locations.jpg
    640.1 KB · Views: 250
[...] Also, check to make sure you are using the latest firm ware update. Current firm ware version is 1.1[...]
[...]Also, try a different battery or remove the battery you have and putting it back in. And removing the memory card as well. Bad memory card can do weird things.

My firmware is 1.1, but WOW! Changing battery to a non-original actually worked!? Now it gets GPS-signal in like 20 seconds after turning on the camera, and the GPS-symbol are allways white! When I change back to the original Nikon battery, it also works again.

Thank you very much HantaYo!

Last edited:
For anyone considering this camera, I highly recommend it.

I've attached a photo of two White-tailed eagles. The picture is shot handheld on full 60x zoom at approx 100 meters.

I've cropped the picture on the very userfriendly cropping tool in the camera, and I also had to change the size in paint in order to upload it here.

But I think the result is amazing for such a small and affordable camera!

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 469
My firmware is 1.1, but WOW! Changing battery to a non-original actually worked!? Now it gets GPS-signal in like 20 seconds after turning on the camera, and the GPS-symbol are allways white! When I change back to the original Nikon battery, it also works again.

Thank you very much HantaYo!

Anytime!

I was out today and could not close my GPS log file:-C Something about the memory card even though pictures were being saved to it. So no geocoding today. I'll have to manually do it. Need to see if this is a continuing problem.

Today's top P610 pictures:

Attachments

• Sands Lake-37-2015-09-19-16.jpg
    Sands Lake-37-2015-09-19-16.jpg
    721.1 KB · Views: 229
  • Sands Lake-37-2015-09-19-12.jpg
    Sands Lake-37-2015-09-19-12.jpg
    750.9 KB · Views: 239
  • Sands Lake-37-2015-09-19-23.jpg
    Sands Lake-37-2015-09-19-23.jpg
    707 KB · Views: 192
  • Sands Lake-37-2015-09-19-39.jpg
    Sands Lake-37-2015-09-19-39.jpg
    759.5 KB · Views: 295
  • Sands Lake-37-2015-09-19-42.jpg
    Sands Lake-37-2015-09-19-42.jpg
    743.5 KB · Views: 239
For anyone considering this camera, I highly recommend it.

I've attached a photo of two White-tailed eagles. The picture is shot handheld on full 60x zoom at approx 100 meters.

I've cropped the picture on the very userfriendly cropping tool in the camera, and I also had to change the size in paint in order to upload it here.

But I think the result is amazing for such a small and affordable camera!
Great picture:t:

Does anyone use a UV-filter for their P610?

I have one laying, but I haven't dared to mount it because of conflicting information weather or not it's meant to be used with a UV-filter.

What are the pros and cons?

Does anyone use a UV-filter for their P610?

I have one laying, but I haven't dared to mount it because of conflicting information weather or not it's meant to be used with a UV-filter.

What are the pros and cons?

Pretty much everything I have read on UV filters for digital cameras says they are not needed. Film cameras- yes; digital cameras- no. For example, see this article:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7333331953/should-you-use-a-uv-filter-on-your-lens

I use to think they were great for protecting the lens but now days I just them off my Olympus camera. It is just more glass you go through to get the picture. I feel it is not needed to protect the lens.

Strongly leaning towards getting a P610 to supplement my existing superzoom - 2/3 the weight for twice the reach seems attractive and the results look really good.

I think Nikon have concerns about an oversize mount causing problems with the lens actuation mechanism.

I had about 6 filters in both 49mm and 55mm sizes, that had slightly different densities around neutral, 3 of them UV or slightly warming in the days of reversal film. In fact the only filters I kept in the end when I went digital were the polarisers. Even the square grads were too much hassle. Digital photography shaved pounds weight off my camera bags.

In over 60 years of photography I have never damaged the front element of any lens when mounted on a camera. I did go through a phase of putting a neutral filter on lenses but got so cross with the fact that being close to the hood I was always smearing them with finger grease on them, I crushed one underfoot and dumped the rest.

However I respect the views of others and it is important that we all do whatever seems best for each of us. I always use lens caps anyway to prevent an image of the sun being focussed on something important inside the camera. We all have our personal foibles.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back