• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from the Balearic Islands (1 Viewer)

Baleares

Hi I have joined this wonderful site to see who can help me identify a bird we
have in our garden.

Ive tried to get photos but he is too quick for me.
Description size between a tit and a wren.
a definate black hat
red eyes
and the breast a silver and the body a bluish grey

seems to like fruit trees we have seen him in the lemon and damson trees.
also in the fountain.

I live in Palma Mallorca and actually live in the city.
Thanking you all in advance, I have spent over two days looking on the net for a photo of this bird without luck.
Doreen

Hi Baleares, welcome to BirdForum, sorry i cant help with your ID, but if you post it in Bird ID Q&A your sure to get a reply.

Hi Doreen and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum.

As pauco suggested, you might want to post your description in bird I.D. forum here. Good luck!

Nutcracker said:
Welcome to Birdforum!

I am guessing your bird is probably a Sardinian Warbler (Curruca Cabecinegra)

Yes, definitely sounds like a Sardinian Warbler. Is that the Spanish name in brackets?

Bliz

Hi Dorren,

Welcome to Birdforum

My first guess was A Sardinian Warbler as well. it is one of the highlights seeing these when we stop at Cala Bona, Mallorca.

mystified

Blizzard said:
Yes, definitely sounds like a Sardinian Warbler. Is that the Spanish name in brackets?

Bliz

Thank you all for your quick answers and help, unfortunately the little bird isnt like that he has a cap on his head not the whole head, and its body is slender, sleek, body like a finch with a straight tail not upwards.

Ive tried to find the q & A section but have got lost.

Thanks once again
Doreen

Baleares said:
Thank you all for your quick answers and help, unfortunately the little bird isnt like that he has a cap on his head not the whole head, and its body is slender, sleek, body like a finch with a straight tail not upwards.

Ive tried to find the q & A section but have got lost.

Thanks once again
Doreen
Remember that the tail is flexible, it's just upturned in that shot ...go back to that page with the photo on and click on the bit that says 'Search the gallery for photos of the sardinian warbler'. You will see many photos of the bird that show it in various poses.

My only other immediate guess is Blackcap... males are very silvery, has black cap....but no red eye.

Attachments

• blackcapdslr121.jpg
    blackcapdslr121.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 114
Andy Bright said:
Remember that the tail is flexible, it's just upturned in that shot ...go back to that page with the photo on and click on the bit that says 'Search the gallery for photos of the sardinian warbler'. You will see many photos of the bird that show it in various poses.

My only other immediate guess is Blackcap... males are very silvery, has black cap....but no red eye.

Hi Doreen
Welcome to Birdforum good to have another Iberian member on-line.
I think Andy and the rest are right but I think you have probably seen both Blackcap & Sardinian Warbler and thought they were the same bird.
Both are common at this time of year in our part of Spain and if not seen well can look similar(ish). Anyway keep up the posts as I am always interested in knowing what's being seen 30Km away across the Med.

Hello from Andratx!
Sounds to me apart from the eyes like a male blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla). The island's been invaded by them this winter. ;) They love fruit trees and you can often see them at the blossom. Also in Palma I don't think you would find any other warbler to near the city. Either that or a Sylvia balearica (Balearic/Marmora's warbler) but these guys are shy and stay down in the undergrowth. Sardinian warblers also have a black "cap" that covers their head below the eye and you always hear them before you se them and tend to make quiet a show and are very bold.

Steve

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back