• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I have a hunch......? (1 Viewer)

KenM

Seen at 7.49am NE.London in my neighbour's garden, leaden grey skies with accompanying precipitation, the only two shots I'm afraid, got onto it a bit late, suffice to say that it was surfing slowly through the conifer, more in.. than out, before flying down and towards, then disappearing, despite moi getting ''soaked'' in the process.

Cheers

Attachments

• P1560826.jpeg   Wobbler A.jpg
    P1560826.jpeg Wobbler A.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 340
  • P1560824.jpeg  Wobbler B.jpg
    P1560824.jpeg Wobbler B.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 305
It certainly wasn't a Wren, and it didn't convey CWhitethroat to me (yellowish bare parts, and some vestige of contrasting dark edging to the tertial area being absent). It's movement was more stealth/acro-ish to my eye, Reed Warbler would have been my guess albeit a less than classic example..and a "puffed-up" one at that. The only other option considered...was perhaps a Garden Warbler with feather wear at bill base.

I think we have to credit the OP with ability to identify a wren! I'm also getting a hint of worn garden warbler, looks more Sylvia than Acrocephalus.

The first picture, if you add the tail (hidden by angle), looks like a Whitethroat and the second looks like Garden W...

Before I enlarged the thumbnail I thought Wren, on the basis of the second pic I thought Garden warbler......

A

If I had to plump for one it would be Whitethroat ....... but I don't think it is possible to id conclusively from these 2 photos!

Shane

Wren for me too on shape, tho' the lack of barring makes it look odd; guess that's just due to low pic quality.

Wondering what Ken's 'hunch' was . . . Cetti's? :-O

Ken

I am sorry to hear about your hunch!

Your bird is a Wren.

B

I do see where you're coming from on the first picture, but I'm not fully convinced...

What about a Garden Warbler for the second one? Uniformly coloured with a hint of grey on the neck sides, and lacking feathers at the base of the bill due to moult?

Peter

Last edited:
Posture in 1) is like a Wren agreed.

But grey head colouring, not so good.

Size - looks too big for Wren, compared to the conifer leaves.

Bill looks a bit slight for Garden Warbler(?) but a fair option.

Bird could be wet ... or poor condition/moulting as mentioned

(And what is the moth species in 1)? ;) )

Last edited:
I do see where you're coming from on the first picture, but I'm not fully convinced...

What about a Garden Warbler for the second one? Uniformly coloured with a hint of grey on the neck sides, and lacking feathers at the base of the bill due to moult?

Peter

Peter

when you write it will always make look again, but this time i can only see a wren

B

I can understand "the likeness" to Wren, however...before running indoors to get the camera, I'd observed the bird through the bins (admittedly not brilliant views) but clearly bigger than the aforementioned, and hunched up probably because of the rain. FWIW I was standing in my porch at the time, and I have had Sedge Warbler in my neighbours (rockery grdn.). before many years ago.

Cheers

Although the photo is blurry, have struggled to find images of Wren where the distinctive 'checked' barring n the outer primaries (?) is not visible ...

The chunky yellow legs/feet though do rather indicate Wren?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back